• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Stabilitrak

HoytBows

Reaction score
Gents,

I was driving down the road yesterday and for no obvious reason my truck threw a DTC P0700 and the "Service Stabilitrak" message came on and it limped. I know the P0700 is as generic TCM code telling the engine to reduce power, I believe. The only other thing i noticed, is that something down by the brake pedal is clicking when i press the pedal. Sounds like a silinoid click, i happens when the fault trips, after i reset the code, and then every time i press the brake while to code is on the dash. When I reset it, it pretty much comes right back.

Anybody seen this or have suggestions on where to start chasing this issue? Thanks!

P0700 is a generic code meaning the TCM is commanding the MIL to come on. You need a better quality scanner to read actual TCM codes. Without the codes, it's throwing darts trying to guess what it could be.

Does the shop servicing the patrol cars have somebody willing to scan it? It's likely they have a Tech 2

Well this deal just got better. So I unplugged my Edge insight and plugged my EFI scan tool into the truck. It told me there were not codes to read, and the CEL was on in the dash. So I fired it up thinking I had re set it with the Edge, and if I put it in drive again the issue would pop up and i could look a little better at what codes were being thrown. Well now it wont go into Drive/Reverse, just acts like its in Nuetral. I think how can this be, the CEL is on but im getting nothing on the scanner. I then "cleared all DTC's" and the CEL goes away. But still no DTCs on the scanner. As I sit there listening to it idle, the engine keeps trying to engage something (similar to what it does when the AC condenser kicks in) however it kicks back off almost right away, but it keeps trying. So now I'm dead in the water, with my 30' horse trailer attached on the hill in my driveway!! YES, love it!! :banghead::banghead::banghead:

I google searched the stabilitrak deal and everything out there is pretty foggy, from complete TCM replacement to Throttle body sensors, to Steering wheel position sensors. Why cant my issues ever be simple haha

No EFI won't. The trans codes are proprietary so a Tech 2 is needed.
No, EFILIVE can read ALL drivetrain codes for an 06+ CAN BUS truck. For 01-05 trucks it can also read ALL codes. EFILIVE has NO troubles what so evr reading ECM and TCM codes since it can read and flash both modules. When you check for DTC's, make sure and select the ALL MFG DTC's option.

Ferm, that is great news. So should i hook up my laptop or can i do that all of the handset scan tool? Sorry for the ignorance... I might need a dumbed down tutorial on how to pull the info

Last edited:
No, EFILIVE can read ALL drivetrain codes for an 06+ CAN BUS truck. For 01-05 trucks it can also read ALL codes. EFILIVE has NO troubles what so evr reading ECM and TCM codes since it can read and flash both modules. When you check for DTC's, make sure and select the ALL MFG DTC's option.
I was not aware of that. Sorry for the misinformation.

P0708 - Transmission Range Sensor Circuit High Input

All the reading I can find, none have mentioned the Stabilitrak issue as well. And for full disclosure I have a service airbag light that I have been ignoring for awhile, but it seem to have no relation.

P0708 doesn't sound good. It is most likely a bad IMS or chafed wire, but could also be an ignition switch or TCM problem. The clicking down by teh brake pedal is the shift interlock switch being disengaged because it loses input from the IMS(internal mode switch, it is what tells the TCM what gear is slected), so it is re engaging it. Not sure if the shift interlock switch is powered directly off the IMS, or if it is done via a class 2 data bus signal from the TCM to the BCM.

http://www.duramaxdiesels.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52973

I suspect the TCM as well. Looks like that is generally the fix for this code, my buddy ran it through the computer at his shop back home and said to check the wiring harness for wear through, by the bell housing, if nothing then the finger most likely points to the TCM. My local stealership has one, any idea how long it takes for those guys to marry a new one to my ECM?

On a side note, I remember somebody complaining about the TCM mount bolts coming loose and it falling out (Mike was that you?) after looking at it, i don't have a single bolt left in it anymore, just a plastic bolt and the clip holding it in. I have been watching it for awhile, not sure when I lost them

Thats all GM used was one plastic clip to hold the TCM on. And you better sit down before you get a price on that TCM, last I heard GM was getting over $1500 for a TCM, installing it, and then flashing it. I would do an IMS LONG before I would throw a TCM at it. Only bad part about the IMS is you have to drop the valv body to get access to the shift shaft retainer pin.

On a side note, I remember somebody complaining about the TCM mount bolts coming loose and it falling out (Mike was that you?) after looking at it, i don't have a single bolt left in it anymore, just a plastic bolt and the clip holding it in. I have been watching it for awhile, not sure when I lost them
That was me. I would have hoped GM has fixed the mounting for the GMT900

Nope, still just one plastic slip grommet deal and the clip on the fan shroud. I dropped the truck off at the stealership today, they are going to get to it on monday. I pulled the TCM off and unplugged it to check it all out and everything seemed fine. I suspect the TCM to be the issue, but I guess we will find out next week. Hopefully the techs are on the ball come Monday!

Well STEALERSHIP called back today. And they also suspect the TCM. Told me there is a bulletin that advises after market serpentine belts can cause electromagnetic energy that can fry to TCM. Said that I had an aftermarket belt. I told them it was the same belt that was on the truck when they sold it to me. Didnt get anywhere with that conversation. So they want to replace the belt and TCM for $1100 out the door. The TCM is just under $600. I asked where all the other labor was coming from and he told me it was installing the new belt. HA! "Well the tech says he has to take something off, I forget what..." BS dude I will put a new belt on it. The TCM is a plug and a plastic grommet. Takes 5 minutes. (They want an hour of labor to flash it to the ECM) So I told them to put the new TCM in and flash it... and I bet there will still be a bunch of labor charges. ALWAYS the same story at dealerships, every time.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Back