• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service Airbag warning on DIC and idiot light?????

RI Chevy Silveradoman

At your service
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
I was driving down the road today, and all of a sudden, I got this Service Airbag warning light that popped up on my DIC along with an idiot light. What the heck is this? I have not hit anything, and the road was extremely smooth and straight. I don't get it. Anyone else get this?

At 113K, what type of SERVICE am I supposed to do to the Airbag?

Check the connectors under the seats Jeff. Only way to get the actual code is with a tech 2. Went through that with her Tahoe and the passenger side module is bad. To the tune of $700. I didn't replace it. Just have to hit the dic button to bypass the message every time. PITA!

Clock Spring?

The Airbag sensor is behind the plastic "Skid Plate" up front. Maybe drop that and check out the Sensor / Wiring.

The service airbag light is the check engine light for the airbag system. For the 06+ trucks you need a TECH 2 or high end scanner to read it. I know on 01-05 trucks I can pull them with the V2, but 06+ with CAN BUS will only read codes off of the CAN BUS.

Park it ASAP, tow it home or to a shop, fix it!

Service = Repair in this context.

I would check for any other codes from the engine, etc. If there a bunch of codes all of a sudden (rather than a single airbag code or two) replace the ignition switch as it is causing a brownout and goofing up computers, ECM's and modules. Common intermittent GM problem esp. around these years. When the switch starts to go bad all kinds of weird codes can pop up in all systems. The contacts become a resistor and drop voltage and no one thought to turn off the modules at a voltage they no longer work below. Unless the switch is doornail dead, of course, no one wants to replace it.

I wouldn't operate a vehicle with a airbag light on. <---That's a period! Not only do I have family that survived a near fatal collision because we spent the money and fixed the air bag system when it went out, but, the liability for a passenger who gets badly hurt or killed isn't worth it. After all they are running ads on TV now for lawyers fishing for "air bag didn't deploy in a wreck" cases now. The kind that take away your home, everything you own, and puts you in Bankruptcy.

I further don't like the idea that the system is in an unpredictable state. Specifically going off at a bad time from say bad wiring that Ford is now famous for.

It's my only ride. The truck operates fine. Just the idiot light. I'll work on it and check the sensors and the other help info given.

I got a recall letter for my Traverse recently(past couple weeks) for this occurance. The senser in the passenger seat is bad and recalled. I have taken this car to 2 chevy dealerships, several times for this over the years, and the official TSB was Laptop or Iphone was to close to the sensor causing the the airbag warning. The traverse is canbus as well. Anyway, you might check to see is your truck is under this recall. Hope this helps

drive the truck,just wear your seatbelt,remember we had cars/trucks before airbags,
just get the codes read,then figure-out the problem,dont waste your time cking plugs,they have a security clip on them,unless youve been monkeying around with them they dont just fall off,

Do any of you guys know if your airbags work?

Before they go off, that is?

The only way to be sure is to test them. And then you have to replace them. And then you can't be sure that the new ones work!

The idiot light PCM circuitry tells you that something is flaky, and that is all. Could be a problem with grounds, could be a sensor issue, could be that the system that monitors the systems is having problems.

And it could be that your airbags are non-working. My son in law piled up his uncles Dmax, destroyed the front end including the bumper, and no airbags fired. No lights, no indication they weren't working , just no airbags when he needed them.

On the other hand, My buddy had a Chrysler crapcan that had the indicator light on for 2 yrs... And when he hit a snow bank sliding on ice in a parking lot , 'blooey' the damn thing DOES work !

Get the exact codes read, figure out what's wrong, get it fixed. And then pray it works if you need it to... Cause you'll never really know until then.

I'd just as soon not have it. When I drilled that big buck a few years ago at 50+ mph dead on I was certain the bags would fire and they didn't. I'm glad they didn't. I don't drive without belts anyhow.

Sent from my SCH-I535

I checked out a few of the sensors, etc. I am waiting to have my buddy with a Tech2 read it and try and give me a heads up on what exactly it is. I am quite pissed at this issue.

Code BO104

Just an update: Go figure, I was driving on the highway today and the light went out, just as mysteriously as it came on. :lmao:
I went and had the code read anyway, and with an SRS code reader, it displayed BO104. It showed the right front airbag sensor may be bad. My buddy recommended that I try and take the connection apart and clean it, and make sure the sensor was grounded, and not all rusted up. And to take apart the connection and be sure that it is not corroded and try and see if that takes care of it prior to buying the sensor. I will try that and report back. :mad2: :???:

No. Just the one for parts of the system. I'd have to look at the diagnostics they gave me to say for sure

Sent from my SCH-I535

Back