• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Service 4WD Light on in the 05...

I pulled switch apart. Looks like the top 2 prongs are broken or cracked. I wonder if I resolder these if the switch will work?
I suck at 12v diagnostics and soldering.20220404_180048.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled switch apart. Looks like the top 2 prongs are broken or cracked. I wonder if I resolder these if the switch will work?
I suck at 12v diagnostics and soldering.
Have the soldering iron hot enough to melt solder, touch some solder to the tip to be sure. Touch the joints and give it a short dose of solder. It will hold.
I am shaky and dont see so good some more. I soldered together a complete DIY Autotune control board for gasoline fuel injected vehicles.
If I can dooooit, You surely can.

I am sure that the cracked solder is the problem.
Square body GM pickups, windshield wiper motor joints does that. A quick solder job and good as new.
The gas log fireplace in My front room, the gas control valve crapped out. Them things aint cheap. I thought, what the heck, its no good the way it is. Removed a cover, broken solder joint and the wire had moved away. Poked the wire back into position, soldered it down, probelm free for about ten years now.

I soldered the connections, still didn't work. I bought a new switch, still no worky. 🤬
I've replaced everything except the transfer case.
Only thing I will do now is recheck for proper ground. I did this first thing last year, but just read that sometimes the thin wiring breaks.
I would love to get a wiring schematic for the wires going to front actuator and encoder motor to find out exactly which wire is the ground.
This is a helpful link.

I just found this wiring schematic.Screenshot_20220407-110016_Firefox.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@THEFERMANATOR on a 2000 siv 1500 should front drive shaft spin free in 2wd selection. Jad bad encorder, changed it but shaft still feels like it is engaged in 4wd.
If it has the np246 autotrak case, then no, the front driveshaft will take 50-80 foot lbs of break away torque to slip. If it is a np261 or np263 then the front end should unlock. Now 03+ np246 will semi free spin the front shaft.

Back