• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Series 60 Blue Paint for engine

SnowDrift

Ultra Conservative. ULTRA!
Reaction score
I had in mind that my engine would be painted Series 60 blue, but I'm not finding much more than rattle cans. Duplicolor doesn't seem to make it any longer.
1679574637858.png1679574668249.png

I looked at some of the Eastwood products but none are close. I talked with our local PPG rep and they have nothing for heat above about 230 deg. F. I don't know what the specs. are on the rattle can paints, but have an email out to our contact. I've seen this rattle can that appears to be another solution, but they're only up to 300 deg. F.

The ceramics I'm looking at that Eastwood sells are in the 600-650 range, but they don't have the color. POR-15 has a GM corporate blue that is about the closest I'm going to come to the shade I want - still only in the 300 degree range.

Does anyone have other suggestions?

Idk if I would imitate the series 60. Know why it is called 60? Because anything colder than that and they don’t start. That and if you want normal lifespan you need to use up 60 main bearings from them being spun! Haha. I remember the throttle would just stop working all the time too.

But I agree, it is a cool color. Seems like it belongs on a 57 bel air or something from the 50’s era. But seriously oil leaks on it show up bad, not as bad a cat- but bad.

Looks like Dupli-color discontinued the DE1683. looking on their website, the only two I see that is close to it is DE1617 or DE1619. you might be able to have a paint shop mix up some in a high heat style paint. I remember that a local shop here used to be able to mix colors like that and put it into a rattle can for jobs like this.

The alpine green doesn't seem like it's going to work for me, so that is why I wanted to go with the blue.

Will, all the preparations are being made to overcome weaknesses, like anchor-locked bearings and eternal heat generating chambers equipped idle and non-run coil packs that are dual stage sensor equipped for ambient under 50 deg. F. Lower than that, the secondary set automatically kicks in to allow for starts and operation in cooler climates. The throttle is getting the propositum summus upgrade that replaced the original. It's a walk in the park after that, my friend.

Might just go with GM Corporate blue. I think red would look best if I can't get the DD blue, but it might be a bit much with a red exterior on my truck.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I could swear I saw a similar blue to this below at ConExpo one year in the Detroit Diesel booth. I want to say it was on some big 1200 HP engine they had on display. Has anyone else seen it or similar or maybe I just dreamed it...?
View attachment 80515
We had a couple vehicles close to that color.
81 or 83 Chevette diesel and 82 Chevy Cavalier

Back