• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Save your current versions of efilive now!

THEFERMANATOR

FRANKENBURBAN
Staff member
Lead Moderator
Reaction score
The writing is on the wall, and it looks like they are going to cave into the EPA and make a seperate release for US customers that will no longer allow us to delete emissions equipment. So if you have an LB7 with EGR, LLY or newer, save the current versions of EFILIVE to use for your tuning. So much for there stance of it is up to the end user to abide by the applicable laws.

http://www.efilive.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=167&Itemid=158

What does this mean to those who want to go EFI sometime later? Such as me with no DPF/SCR in the first place but with a blocked and fingered EGR.

It means that the software you will be downloading at that time will nOT be able to defeat any of the emission controls if they follow through with this dual software setup. I for one will be keeping the current version on my old tuning laptop and NOT updating it just for reasons like this. Even if I have to update my desktop or the laptop I use for flashing, I will still have a copy on my old laptop to use with the current software for this kind of work. then again I have recently turned down doing anymore DPF deletes after seeing what happened to H&S as I can't afford an EPA fine(a $10K fine just isn't worth risking the $175 I charge to do a single tune flash for somebody, or the $225 I charge for a DSP5).

The question I'm beginning to formulate is what if you have the new 'non EGR delete' tune(s) from EFI and also have a block plate and fingerstick? Even if I do get occasional P0402s with this FS. Hmmm...

Step 2 will be emissions tests for everyone with no areas omitted. Step 3 will be to eliminate older diesels completely. CA is already leading the way in eliminating older diesels requiring retrofits even on off road equipment. Step 0 was cash for clunkers...

Ok, I will be getting EFI Live tuning by the end of the week to tune our 6.0L. Will the programs i get work on dmax or are these different files?

Ok, I will be getting EFI Live tuning by the end of the week to tune our 6.0L. Will the programs i get work on dmax or are these different files?

If you run the current release it will do both of them. I'm keeping my tuning laptop loaded with the current software and will NOT update it again so it will still have the software with the deletes in it. Doesn't really matter much to me as my BURB isn't affected with an LB7, but I have tuned a few that are affected and will keep the old software to support them in the future(but I am no longer doing anymore deletes for people as the $40K fine the EPA is pushing for just isn't worth it). And for LBZ and LMM's, you can keep a base file with the deletes done in them to flash onto other trucks as they are less picky, and for LB7 and LLY's, you can keep a base copy of there tune file with the EGR deletes and such to CAL flash in to make custom tunes. There will be workarounds provided people maintain files that are modified, but I'm betting the EPA goes after forums that host modified files next as they have already tried getting into another forum to look around.

HMM. I'm gonna have to do some file saving then.

Now for the stupid questions from someone who hasnt paid any attention the tuning stuff. Can I download and try tunes out of the tuning library any time I want? If so what do i need to be able to do this successfully?

If I go ahead and speed up my purchase of a DSP5 then can i get it tuned with egr delete tunes for the time being?

HMM. I'm gonna have to do some file saving then.

Now for the stupid questions from someone who hasnt paid any attention the tuning stuff. Can I download and try tunes out of the tuning library any time I want? If so what do i need to be able to do this successfully?

If I go ahead and speed up my purchase of a DSP5 then can i get it tuned with egr delete tunes for the time being?

I'm not sure how it is going to work when the new updates come out. I don't know if the actual license will lock your ability, if it is a regional flag in teh software, or what that will do it. They have said that it will only really be targeting the LMM and 6.7L CUMMINS as it is targeted at stopping DPF deletes more than anything else, but it may also remove teh EGR delete function in older models as well. Until it happens, none of us will know what it will do. At least we are getting some warning unlike HPTUNERS who did a secret update that went into most peoples PC's through an auto update that removed the ability to do it, and you couldn't revert the software back once it was updated.

the V2 you recieve on new purchases will have the updated firmware with bootlock installed...

so any V2's sold after the update will come with the new update and to avoid any incomaptibility issues with the old software that some will try to run, you will more than likely have to update the software...so you may want to get your v2 sooner than later...JMHO

There should be workarounds here for this matter if you read between the lines what they posted on the EFILIVE website. They are not doing away with the ability, but they ARE blocking those portions of the software from customers using there software in the US. Somehow they have found a way(that they will not share due to legal liability) to block portions of the software based on where your using your software at. They have also said they will not undo what has been done(wink wink, save the CURRENT version), and current customers at this time will not be required to update there software to get future licenses or streams.

If you want to be upset at anybody, be upset at those who went out and rolled coal and posted videos of it on youtube. These quotes from EFILIVE pretty well sum it up in a nutshell what has happened.

This absolutely falls in to the same category as gun control, Smith & Wesson are not responsible for how their product is used by each person who buys a gun. Just like us, or even someone selling EFILive isn't the person that may remove the DPF and creates a tune to allow the truck to still run. However, we have a situation where YouTube is full of smoking late model Diesels on the highway filling some poor grandma's Prius with soot. Now if Grandma was at the local drag strip that is a different story, it 'could' be an unregistered race truck doing this, but unfortunately nearly every video out there is clearly not a race truck.

And this one.

Currently there is no plans to restrict any functions from the LS side of things. There is a very different mindset with the gas side of tuning though, the people who are going to the trouble of fitting an LS motor in to an old car probably do so because they are wanting to make good clean power, maybe even run it on E85, just like a 2010 Silverado gasser would. The legalities of doing this probably varies state by state in the US, so you probably need to investigate that yourself.

They have spelled it out that the rolling of smoke that many have done is what brought this attention down upon us, and the youtube videos made the EPA's case for them. DPF's came out to stop smoke in it's tracks as the particulate filter is to fine for the heavy black smoke to pass through. Seeing trucks that came with DPF's rolling coal took out ALL the guesswork what was happening. So remember to thank a coal roller for what has happened to us.

kept telling those dumbasses this would happen but no the government doesn't monitor that :rolleyes5:

Not mad at EFI live for this

Looks like I will be keeping my 04 GMC and not doing anymore updates on my EFI Live.

EFILIVE has announced that any public release in 2014 and beyond WILL lose the ability to do emission deletes. The last early release in Novemeber of 2013 didn't do away with them as far as I know.

EFILIVE has announced that any public release in 2014 and beyond WILL lose the ability to do emission deletes. The last early release in Novemeber of 2013 didn't do away with them as far as I know.

so what we put on my laptop last summer is still a good one then...I'm sure you'll have the software files saved for future laptop failures and such....I can't find where I stored the ones I downloaded...

Back