• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

SAE #3 vs GM Bellhousing

Alrighty, got an update for ya'll. Yesterday, I drove 9 hours (round trip) to pick up some parts. I scored an allison 4x4 trans, tcm, transfer case, driveshafts, & a full float 11.5 AAM 4.10 rear end out of a 8.1 truck. All of this for $500!

I know FERM was suggesting to use the A40 tcm. This one looks way different. Will I be able to run the one I just picked up or should I get an a40 tcm still?

The a40 is if you wanted a 6 speed. If it's rectangular with a red and grey plug, it's a 5 speed tcm. I've heard they will default to a wired tps just like an a40 will(you must use the allison tps I've heard, it has a different output range from most others).

The a40 is if you wanted a 6 speed. If it's rectangular with a red and grey plug, it's a 5 speed tcm. I've heard they will default to a wired tps just like an a40 will(you must use the allison tps I've heard, it has a different output range from most others).

Ok, gotcha. So if I want the 6 speed, I gotta get an A40. Ok perfect! I'll sell this tcm & the electronic shift transfer case & get a manual shift case & a40 instead.

There's somebody out there offering a 6 speed conversion kit you could probably get to work, but it's ALOT more money than an A40 will set you back.

Back