• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

S&B AIRBOX COWL INDUCTION

Easy to see now why its called a cobrahead :rolleyes:. I can understand the volume in these flowing better but some of the really sharp curves have me wondering if its all for not.

Area in the sharp turn will show increase in flow w/cobra or oval pipe over any round one that could fit in there the sharp curves become less and issue than any round one. It's the fabrication time that would be the killer for most but well worth it in return especially with say the 5" dia equivalent oval on say an HX40 & 4" dia. equivalent in oval IMHO.

Got the S&B to work with my setup by not bolting the box to the inner fender and my ducting still covers opening in box cover for the cowl air.

I am building a full 4" filter to compressor inlet setup using the S&B box and oil catch system for CDR.

What thermal barrier are you using. I'd like to shield my AC lines at the very least.

Thanks, I going to try and get some images of IR heat sensor readings on hood and on the cowl so everyone can see the difference.

I would love to see some numbers there. I'm thinking next spring ill be busy doing a bunch of under hood mods and I'm always looking for colder air to the turbo. whats the heat rating on that stuff and how does it attach? sticky backing?

I would love to see some numbers there. I'm thinking next spring ill be busy doing a bunch of under hood mods and I'm always looking for colder air to the turbo. whats the heat rating on that stuff and how does it attach? sticky backing?

DEI tunnel insulation 1,700 + deg f direct on metal face it has an adhesive backing on the barrier mat. I was surprised the GM8 over fit by clipping the outside forward mounting tab so I layered the DEI inside then outside then made a notched double layered (sticky sides together) DEI panel and fit it at leading edge of turbine.

I do see lower overall temps under hood on turbo side since I removed the lower chassis mounted CAC/IC and it pipes which blocked air flow on turbo side of engine bay, I'll post some #'s soon.

The S&B 6.5td box works w/o modification on the HX40/CKO using Race day's mechanical boost controller.

As the air filter to compressor runner goes I suspect the S&B w/it's 643 cfm capacity is better suited for most applications with a 3" downpipe as this 3" becomes the choke point when using 18 cm2 or larger turbine housing and running high boost levels.

Last edited:
Easy to see now why its called a cobrahead :rolleyes:. I can understand the volume in these flowing better but some of the really sharp curves have me wondering if its all for not.

The whole cobrahead concept is to keep volume in the tight turn as cummins found long ago and now ford for 2015 is promoting their cobrahead as a BIG improvement in diesel output and many compound turbo setups are happy with the tight cobrahead turn.

Mines not as pretty. Thats the stock k47 filter. The elbow is steel and tight push fit into filter, the other end is a donaldson adapter down to turbo inlet (A Team Turbo). I cant get enough cold air to it yet. May have to fab up a snorkel and enclose the filter again...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 9
Mines not as pretty. Thats the stock k47 filter. The elbow is steel and tight push fit into filter, the other end is a donaldson adapter down to turbo inlet (A Team Turbo). I cant get enough cold air to it yet. May have to fab up a snorkel and enclose the filter again...

Pretty or otherwise cold air and lots of it is perhaps the most important part of the whole mix. A snorkel is about the best option however IMHO 5" would be the minimum diameter for a V8 6.2/6.5td be it round or otherwise.

I have now installed a 4" id airfilter to turbo compressor setup SEE: http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/threads/holset-hx40w-non-gated-hx40-super-hx40.43524/page-4

You running the side mount turbo, or?

As a prefilter goes I've even had an old pair of ladies pantyhose over the filter during a bad sand storm in AZ some years back. The GMT400 can use all the help it can get when airflow through the radiator, hood/bonnet and beyond a good flowing air-box is part of the mix be it bought or homemade.

Sidemounted A team. The shielding is normally down keeping air coming in from front. Ive noted your changes but havent got there yet. This setup is much better than original but IATemps do go up when towing heavy up slope (slowing) as the air flow aint great under-bonnet. And i havent got good cold-flow to the filter.. Thus snorkel just to get outside air.

Hard to tell from pic, but I think you'd be better off without the blanket. Seems like under load its going to colapse onto the filter or atleast restrict the air around it. Try taking it off and see what EGTs do.

Hard to tell from pic, but I think you'd be better off without the blanket. Seems like under load its going to colapse onto the filter or atleast restrict the air around it. Try taking it off and see what EGTs do.
When the oil cooler is back on i can run it again. But, the insulation is a very stiff foam core that doesnt move much.

Back