• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

S&B AIRBOX COWL INDUCTION

FellowTraveler

Reaction score
I have placed a small cowl induction scoop on my Burb that is ducted into the top of the S&B air box. While the S&B has the removable back to increase air flow it pulls hot under hood air my mod pulls only cold air and with my recent HX40 install the cowl induction scoop is ice cold to the touch after a hard run. I'll be making the opening to the airbox larger and angle the ductwork forward to allow even more air in.

The sides of my hood are sealed with door gaskets front to back to enhance underhood hot airflow through my primitive fender vents and I have placed gaskets around the scoop duct to seal it to the air box with hood closed.

Cowl induction 6.5 td 004.JPG Cowl induction 6.5 td 003.JPG Cowl induction 6.5 td 010.JPG Cowl induction 6.5 td 009.JPG Cowl induction 6.5 td 008.JPG Cowl induction 6.5 td 007.JPG Cowl induction 6.5 td 006.JPG Cowl induction 6.5 td 005.JPG

I've wondered why I haven't seen this before. Cold air without restriction is a good thing. I think it looks good. I'm surprised to not see more snorkels out there from the offroad crowd.

Lower air temp makes a big difference in my truck. Summer / winter is a huge difference.

Is there not a concern about water when it rains or snows?

I live where it rains heavy then some more never an issue in the 2.5 years since install with the oiled gauze filter if it were to be a problem the filter would have came apart long ago, I still have the inside fender delivering air too. I thought a splash guard was needed but it works just fine. I'll be trying the paper filter too and will chime in on that adventure.

I will sometime in the future seal it off and use a 5" or 6" custom snorkle

I've wondered why I haven't seen this before. Cold air without restriction is a good thing. I think it looks good. I'm surprised to not see more snorkels out there from the offroad crowd.

Lower air temp makes a big difference in my truck. Summer / winter is a huge difference.

Yep, big gulps of cool or cold filtered air makes all the difference!

Burning Oil: I like that intake however the great looking paint would not last more than say a few days with my off the beaten path trips.

FT, I see you have Evan's, what if anything, have you noticed?

Well, I don't seem to get high temp rises under heavy loads as I did before the conversion, I run one 180 deg f and one 190 deg f stat and usually the temps float around the mid 170's around town and stop and go, on the highway I'll see 195 and if it's really hot triple digit w/AC on the temps will hit 205 deg f +-, on mountain passes it climbed higher w/GM8 so suspect w/HX40 it will be less. 220 deg f was not uncommon w/EGW everyone says that's the upper limit but the military say's 250 deg f is the limit I feel confident w/EVANS there will be no cavitation or corrosion and I run it at zero cap pressure so only pressure is pump head pressure.

On cold days I'm better off using a winter grill cover but it maybe that I need two 190 or 195 deg f thermostats.

I had done a few conversions diesel and a CLK55 AMG and so far happy with the EVANS.

The entire cooling system was rebuilt about 3 years ago only other cooling mods are restrictor in thermostat to pump bypass and medium duty fan clutch.

I had tried to modify the S&B air box intake runner to the compressor as the design is a good one however too small for the 4" HX40 compressor intake so it will be 4" from the S&B box to the compressor, just waiting on silicone elbows.

I'll be enlarging the ducting from the cowl scoop and will enlarge S&B box cover to match larger size.

I'm still hell bent on a 4" exhaust downpipe to complement the HX40.

I had tried to modify the S&B air box intake runner to the compressor as the design is a good one however too small for the 4" HX40 compressor intake so it will be 4" from the S&B box to the compressor, just waiting on silicone elbows.

I'll be enlarging the ducting from the cowl scoop and will enlarge S&B box cover to match larger size.

I'm still hell bent on a 4" exhaust downpipe to complement the HX40.
Good idea on the 4" to the air box. I know I've read a thread where someone succeeded in fitting a true 4" downpipe to his rig, but it was very tight. It was a very nicely made 4" SS one he built himself, but I don't remember the title of the thread, and it was a very old thread. Look forward to seeing how it works out for you.:)

Matt

I'm running 2 Cummins cobraheads on mine, but don't have the plan for my airbox yet. I really got to get to work on that. Like the scoop for my CAC, its a round to it, that I really need to get round too. :D The pic thumbnail cuts the pic in half, but if you click on it, you can see the cobraheads.
Matt

Attachments

• PB030187 (1024x768).jpg
    PB030187 (1024x768).jpg
    85 KB · Views: 33
bowtiebutler956: The cummins cobrahead I'm talking is the downpipe it's a big cast piece that is normally found on the Cummins 8N however I'm considering a larger cobrahead downpipe and 5" oval tubing which has a 3.5" thickness so it should be able to fit in the area allotted for the down pipe etc.

The cobrahead intake elbows are a great addition to the air filter box to compressor runner best option w/4" down pipe.

FORD motor corp has been plugging their cobrahead downpipe on their new trucks like they had invented the idea but cummins and mil spec is one up on them and have been for a long time.

Thanks for getting me straightened out. :D Do you happen to have any pics of the type of downpipe your talking about? Would it secure to your 3.5" V band flange on the back of your HX40, or would you be removing the v band, and bolting it to the turbine housing?

Matt

Thanks for getting me straightened out. :D Do you happen to have any pics of the type of downpipe your talking about? Would it secure to your 3.5" V band flange on the back of your HX40, or would you be removing the v band, and bolting it to the turbine housing?

Matt

My HX40 has the 4" v band flange the Cummins 8N cobrahead or v band downpipe connects to it. The cobrahead is 4" round then opens up similar to what you have on your intake runner then goes back to 4" round to downpipe. I'll post a pic when I have time.

I'm running 2 Cummins cobraheads on mine, but don't have the plan for my airbox yet. I really got to get to work on that. Like the scoop for my CAC, its a round to it, that I really need to get round too. :D The pic thumbnail cuts the pic in half, but if you click on it, you can see the cobraheads.
Matt

Thats a very clean looking setup you got there. Wish under my hood was that clean.

My HX40 has the 4" v band flange the Cummins 8N cobrahead or v band downpipe connects to it. The cobrahead is 4" round then opens up similar to what you have on your intake runner then goes back to 4" round to downpipe. I'll post a pic when I have time.

I'm very interested in this too. Im looking to make a full custom exhaust in 5'' and the 4'' downpipe would definatley benefit me.

Here is the goggle link for cobrahead downpipes this will give a good idea to all concerned for making 4" or 5" oval downpipe or hunting a cobrahead adapter too but ideas the cobrahead can be eliminated by using oval pipe. https://www.google.com/search?q=cum...niv&ei=qjqLVKLvMM_qgwScu4PgCg&ved=0CDAQsAQ4Cg

As 5" downpipe goes an oval equivalent to 5" round measures 3.25"x 6.0" so it can be made to fit w/offset to the passenger side as it goes between the chassis and to clear the x-over pipe.

Here is the goggle link for cobrahead downpipes this will give a good idea to all concerned for making 4" or 5" oval downpipe or hunting a cobrahead adapter too but ideas the cobrahead can be eliminated by using oval pipe. https://www.google.com/search?q=cummins cobrahead downpipe&sa=N&espv=2&biw=1093&bih=545&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ei=qjqLVKLvMM_qgwScu4PgCg&ved=0CDAQsAQ4Cg

As 5" downpipe goes an oval equivalent to 5" round measures 3.25"x 6.0" so it can be made to fit w/offset to the passenger side as it goes between the chassis and to clear the x-over pipe.

Easy to see now why its called a cobrahead :rolleyes:. I can understand the volume in these flowing better but some of the really sharp curves have me wondering if its all for not.

Back