• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Runs great then dies

Whoa, whoa, whoa... what are you taking the back bolts off the PMD for?

If the thing is fried, you sure don't want to put another one there.

We remote-mount them... leave the dead one right where it sits.

We remote-mount them... leave the dead one right where it sits.

To toast fruitcake as it is the season.

If you're trying gain access to more of the harness by pulling the intake you're wasting your time. Really, a short run on the PMD mounted to nothing is probably do-able but after verifying that it performs better than your existing PMD in terms of duration without shutdown, you really need to get your own new PMD and get it mounted to a heat sink outside the engine compartment.

I hate to repeat myself but...Heath. Heath. Heath. Oh and Heath. Ask anyone on this site that's had your problems that bought a Heath unit and regretted it; responses will be zero.

Make sure you don't put it in the stock location. Otherwise, a few month from now you come back with the same thing except this time you will say, PMD is new. New PMD can get fried very short time.

Make sure you don't put it in the stock location.

I believe that mine is the original and is still on the IP unless the IP has been changed. The little bolts on it don't appear to ever have seen a wrench up close. Doesn't seem to be too horrible a place for it.
When it croaks the new one won't be there, but only cause it would be way easier to just bolt it to a rocker arm cover or somewhere than it would be to get the old one out of there.

have had 0 fails since 2004 when I installed the Heath remot

Makes sense to me - Keep it cool and it should last and last.
We (me & PO) have either been really lucky, or the fact that the engine spends most of it's time at a fast idle may be the reason. That FSD has been a PMD for 9 years that I know of. The Bell Co was the PO before the guy I bought it from so, no doubt, it was well maintained till he got it -- at which point, other than oil changes, almost 0 preventative maintenance was done on it.... Good truck! Very Good engine.

I still think that screwing it to a valve cover would be just as good as mounting it to a big piece of Al & suspending it over an exhaust manifold. If I had the money for replacement FSDs I believe I'd try it.
Anyone looking to get rid of some research money?

I still think that screwing it to a valve cover would be just as good as mounting it to a big piece of Al & suspending it over an exhaust manifold.

Which is exactly the point those of us who have seen SSD's and other in bay solutions fail have come to conclusion of anywhere in engine bay is only a matter of time for when it will fail, not if it will fail again.

Out of engine bay is only worthwhile location, that said some do last a very long time on the IP, which is exactly what GM/Stanadyne were gambling on that it would cost them less $$$ to deal with the problem via attrition, as opposed to a recall campaign.

Unfortunately for the 6.5 owners, it never got turned over to NTSB, IMO this is a huge safety risk that GM should have been forced to deal with once & for all, nothing like being in traffic and have your engine just die on you, once engine dies you lose brake and steering assist.

Back