• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running rough and white smoke?

chestatee

ChevyCummins
Reaction score
Put another in which is good, yesterday I bleed the fuel system and it started up and ran perfect. Today it was slow to start and when it fired up it was idling rough and white smoke was coming out of the exhaust.
Your thoughts would be helpful,
Michael

White smoke is either engine coolant or unburned diesel, like a cold morning when the glowplugs aren't working (my 97 7.3 could fog out the whole yard)

Put another 'what' in? I missed something.

Are you GP's heating up?

Crank it up and fill the air with the white smoke, then get out and smell the smoke, that will tell you what it is.

I will be more specific with symptoms now that I have had more time with it running.
Note-This engine has not been ran for 4 years until I fired it a few days ago.

1-Started engine and at first start there was no rough idle, but the white some was present. It went away after running for 10 minutes, which tells me it was loaded with old fuel from setting? Normal smell from exhaust.

2- I checked for leaks and the #12 injector had a slight leak at the top of the nut. Tried to tighten it but it wasn't lose at all.

3- The idling seemed fine until I tried to accelerate and it began running rough and the RPM's would only rise slightly,It seemed it was starving for fuel.

Despite my thoughts if there are any thoughts about the poor acceleration or fuel concern, please inform.

Thanks for your time
Michael

Remove the nut at the injector and inspect for a cracked line, debris in the way, or scratched surface. If it is leaking fuel it is not getting enough fuel into the cylinder, and is probably sucking air as well.

And.. I just cant let it be.. possible the 12th cylinder is of balancing the other 8 "2- I checked for leaks and the #12 injector ":poke:

If it sat for 4 years it is possible that you don't have a fuel problem. Whatever the hell it's burning after 4 years isn't what I would call fuel anymore! Drain the varnish/liquid/formally known as fuel out, change filters, look for bugs growing in the fuel system and treat accordingly. The "formally called fuel" can be disposed of like used engine oil.

Start troubleshooting with fresh fuel in the system. Add to the old "formally called fuel" if you want to keep hunting weird problems or possibly trash the entire injection system. You may already have dried out seals etc. from sitting, yes. But fresh fuel is better than old varnish to check it out.

If you're talking about the Cummins, it could be blow by. It's not uncommon with them, and if it is, start saving money for rebuild.

After getting it warmed up, do this with the oil Cap (like shown in the Video below). If it's puffing White Smoke or Blowing the Oil Cap off, you got blow by.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow6nDG1QHgo

With what your saying I may also need to pull the injestor?
Remove the nut at the injector and inspect for a cracked line, debris in the way, or scratched surface. If it is leaking fuel it is not getting enough fuel into the cylinder, and is probably sucking air as well.

And.. I just cant let it be.. possible the 12th cylinder is of balancing the other 8 "2- I checked for leaks and the #12 injector ":poke:

No. Do not remove the injector unless you absolutely have to.

Wherever the leak is, that is what needs to be inspected, cleaned and reinstalled. If you leak fuel, it has to be fixed or will cause problems, and sounds to me like is what your only problem is.

Once you see a problem, fix that problem. Do not mess with anything else until it is fixed and tested. You can easily have one problem cause multiple issues. Doing anything else can create new problems that did not exist.

Back