• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Running again, no leaks this time

Getting ready to store the truck for the winter in Idaho. Greatly exceeded my expectations this summer. Hasn't used one drop of oil even tho it smokes like crazy on start up for a couple of minutes. Must admit I'm a bit of a convert now, got some power for not a lot of money. Of course I'm the kind of guy who's OK with 200 hp if I can get it. Next up will be a 85 4x4 Silverado single cab 8' box I found out in the woods, 100k miles, totally unmolested, dirty and neglected but every bit and piece is under the hood and in the cab, manual trans/juice clutch. Totally loaded, even has factory cruise and cassette 4 speaker radio. Came across a 85 short box, kind of strange, Silverado w/o AC, had fancy radio/window/locks/tilt/305 gasser. Bought a Banks turbo kit through Jegs, just before the price increase, should be a nice project. Plan is to make a short box diesel piece and off the extra parts, western rust free parts after all. There's worse things than a red 85 short box diesel/turbo/Silverado.

Smoky startups mean glow plugs not hot enough, burned a couple out, or timing retarded.

Got 10k miles on the old truck since the start of the saga, still runs fine. Did have some grief over the summer, sudden very hard start due to air in the fuel column, thought fuel gage might be lying. Made it down the hill to the regular fuel stop, loaded up both sides, wasn't that low to cause issues. Next morning road side tank was leaking @ gage flange. Appeared the chink part failed to seal, line @ flange solder joint leaked. New gage assy and a check valve between transfer switch and the fire wall mounted electric lift pump, been fine since then.
I did get blind sided a couple weeks ago, thought the block heater failed, it's a low hour zero start, proved to be a popped ground fault outlet, that's been replaced. At any rate it was plenty cold and the engine did start, Bosch plugs and manual button control.
The way this thing is running, it might out last me.

Glad to hear it's going good. As for it outlasting you, maybe you just need some new glowplugs in the knees to combat the cold and some new grease in the spine bushings...

..............chink part failed to seal,........
that's funny.
there used to be a Jap Road nearby until people raised a stink and had it changed.
congrats on the fix.
i thought mine was fixed until i bent a push rod. now it runs like poop.

New building going up in Idaho, weather's been causing major delays resulting in staying west first time in the winter. Some cold conditions here I'll tell you, glad I got my outside wood fired boiler heating the house, nice a toasty. Finished the install just under the wire.

Back