• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rough cold start

matuva

Tropical 6.5er
Reaction score
New Caledonia. An island in south west pacific, cl
Hi all,

like says the title, we have a pickup, a 1996 K1500, experiencing very rough cold start.

She does start almost easy, but smokes white as hell ( smells fuel) for 30 seconds to a minute. Engine shakes, runs like if some cylinders misfire, then it goes more stable clanking, and then after a minute, finally run stable and fine. :???:

Here are the codes I found with my scanner:

DTCs 2014-07-14.jpg

This engine has been re-ring, + new rod and main bearings. We have no idea of the health of other components such as IP, etc... The mechanic is suspecting valve train, but I'm more enclined to think about the IP / stepper motor.

Any opinion?

Pull the glow plugs out and spin it over before you start it to see if fuel comes squirting out of any of the cylinders. Could be an injector leaking fuel in when it sits, and then takes am inute or so to heat up and burn it out.

OK will test all that.

My apologize, I just realized I didn't tell you that I never succeed timing this truck. Whatever is the position of the pump, to the left, to the right, the scanner always read +2.02 value for the TDC offset.

We ended timing the pump "at the ear", like an old DB2, but sure it is not properly timed.

CPS or OS may be?

OK will test all that.

My apologize, I just realized I didn't tell you that I never succeed timing this truck. Whatever is the position of the pump, to the left, to the right, the scanner always read +2.02 value for the TDC offset.

We ended timing the pump "at the ear", like an old DB2, but sure it is not properly timed.

CPS or OS may be?
Advance piston stuck past the point of no return,.... stepper is unable to pull/push it free as the connection to the piston is a spring loaded valve(fuel pressure controls the movement of the piston.
Solution.
1)take stepper motor off the IP( take 2 torx bolt out and move stepper to pass side to unhook from the advance rod.) and manually push the rod back in( needs a little persuasion, if unable to push it back get other stepper.)
2) remove the top cover on the IP and turn the cam ring back to the dr side.
Re-install cover and stepper, turn IP back to base setting and time IP as per manual

Hi all,

like says the title, we have a pickup, a 1996 K1500, experiencing very rough cold start.

She does start almost easy, but smokes white as hell ( smells fuel) for 30 seconds to a minute. Engine shakes, runs like if some cylinders misfire, then it goes more stable clanking, and then after a minute, finally run stable and fine. :???:

Here are the codes I found with my scanner:

View attachment 42261

This engine has been re-ring, + new rod and main bearings. We have no idea of the health of other components such as IP, etc... The mechanic is suspecting valve train, but I'm more enclined to think about the IP / stepper motor.

Any opinion?
IP problem,....could be failing stepper motor or sticking advance piston.
I had that on my 98,...only in cold freezing weather though and only with first start in the morning
Replacing the IP solved the problem

Back