• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rotate dash, replace defrost door, hvac flow distribution flap box

Here is the step by step with pictures.

Step 0. This is serious business :D. Get yourself some plastic trays (harbor freight sells them) for sorting and labeling all the screws, or do what I did and use the small clear plastic sandwich bags. Makes the assembly go _a_lot_ easier:

all_bolts_hardware_packaged.jpg

Step 1. Initial preparation. Disconnect the "-" battery terminals on both batteries. Remove the Air Bag Fuse (#10, 10 AMP). Then remove the center console and the driver's seat. These are fairly easy so I did not bother photographing this step. The two rear nuts that hold the console to the floor are a pain but you can get 'em with a wrench, it just takes forever.

Step 2. Remove the dash bezel. Disconnect the headlight switch, the cargo light switch and the 4x4 switch if equipped. Remove the knee panel in front of the driver's seat. There are three screws along the bottom of this panel that are holding it in place, and several more metal snap things along its top, just gently pry them out.

Step 3. Remove metal plate #1 under the steering column:

dash_plate_under_steering1.jpg

Remove metal plate #2:

dash_plate_under_steering2.jpg
Konstan,
Is there any way you can fix the links to the broken images?
Going to be doing this soon and anything helps :)

I've got a 1995 6.5 Diesel. When set to Defrost the air only comes out the extreme left and the extreme right of the defrost vent. The middle 75% of the defrost vent no air will come out. Could that be caused by this box? I wish the images worked.

Did anyone find elsewhere that had good pictures? Looking to do this and photos would greatly help! I can understand the descriptions but other source of photos or a video would be awesome! This is the best write up I have found on this topic on the web currently!

Hello, I have saved this post for a while, planning for the day I would finally bite the bullet and change this out. But now I'm ready to go and the pictures no longer show up. Are they gone forever?

Most likely are gone forever. Photo bucket screwed a lot of forums out of pictures I’m sure.

When you do get to do it see if you can take some pictures along the way and post them up here for the rest of the people needing them in the future.

Yeah, I like to upload screenshots or pics from my phone because it is fast & easy- but most importantly it is permanently on the forum. No picture-gate on my posts!

Well its been a hot minute since it was thinking about this. Still never did it but when I go to do it I will defiantly take pictures of the process as I always do with things like this. Now I just didn't do it yet becasue I plan on going all out and replacing everything AC related so it will be easier if I take the entire dash assembly out. But who knows the heat might piss me off and just knock this out.

I also found a the parts diagram on GM Parts Direct. I am ordering parts number 16, 21 & 4 from the diagram. Replace that entire center box assembly. Will cost about $102 which really isnt bad for original GM parts.GM Parts direct order.JPG

Back