• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rockers schmockers

Paveltolz

Доверяй, но проверяй
Reaction score
What with the recent discussion on rockers and all, I figured I'd have a little fun having received a few pictures from TTS member 635 after his latest adventures.

Stock Rock w/ nylon buttons prone to failure. $0.30 per button & who knows/cares how much for OEM rockers (and new pushrods)
Harland Sharpe NOT.jpg 635's second failure in a year (passenger side last summer... this shot with bent push rods in May of this year 2014). 635 bought this motor with only 40K on it and installed it late in 2012. Both fails occurred while towing.

Precision Engine Builder rebuilds w/steel buttons $450
17 Rocker Assy.jpg from my build

Harland Sharps for piece of mind....PRICELESS
Harland Sharpe1.jpg

Harland Sharp2.jpg

Harland Sharp3.jpg
635's motor getting put back together. Talk about "Pretty Maids all in a Row!"
Almost hate to put the valve covers back on eh!

Everything apparently went together well but whatever the issue was (besides the obvious in picture one) new rockers didn't solve it for him. 635's thinking there may be an issue with a compressed lifter and is now in the process of ensuring wrenches still fit his hands...'disassemble' the driver's side and doing inspections.

More to follow.

Want so bad, this upgrading is addicting, thought I left that behind with my Turbo Minivan. :mad2: :rof:

After looking at the new rollers for quite a while, not doing the install because of the heat, causing my own malfunction by going too fast in the heat, I installed them and the engine runs great and sounds better, to me! Double check the work. Those small screen inspection cameras work real well for seeing in those dark places under the heads.

I have my Harland Sharp rockers still sitting here on the dining room table, I went with the 1.6 non adjustable rockers. The odd thing is, on the package it says :

DFGM65K

6.5L GM Turbo Diesel
Stock Ratio (1.6:1) Anodized

I was under the impression that all the years 6.2 / 6.5 were supposed to be 1.5 ratio...

Same part number as mine. Believe they only make 2 types.
Be sure to soak the shafts in the breakin oil as recommended. Let them soak for about 24 hours. And they will be slick.
Take your time and get the pushrod in the rocker cup. My malfunction.
Other than that, a real simple install. Once you take the air filter, turbo, upper intake, lower intake, fuel lines, and valve cover off. Change rocker shafts, and put it all back together.

I hope I got the right ones. Mine are supposed to be 1.6 as well. It has the same part number on the packaging but there is nowhere on it saying that they are 1.6:1 ratio. Figured I might have to be measuring the stock and compare the lengths to see what I actually got.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like I might have to. Was planning on installing them this coming weekend. Would hate to put the wrong ones in....glad I saw this thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back