• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rock block. Tailgate gap seal and tonneaus etc tape track?

schiker

Reaction score
I have a back revolver roll up tonneau. Works pretty good. But when I haul mulch it’s a pain to clean out the track. Also, my 2020 is harder to clean out the gap at tailgate. I tried blue painters tape and it kept track clean. The tape came off ok but tears easy. Anyone tried similar with a different tape?

How about those tape on gap covers. Any opinions

Attachments

• IMG_3713.jpeg
    IMG_3713.jpeg
    158.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3714.jpeg
    IMG_3714.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_3712.jpeg
    IMG_3712.jpeg
    156.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3715.jpeg
    IMG_3715.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 5
On the tailgate:
Take 3” (aluminum preferably) flatbar and cut to the width of the opening. Then weld on tabs at the ends and one in the middle that went down between tailgate and bed so it can’t slide forward or backward. Then take 4 pieces of double sided velcro about 8” long and siliconed them to the inside wall of the bed above the wheel well. You can store the thing over the wheel well, loose no space and it’s always in the truck yet out of the way. Everytime you needed it, it’s there. Problem is - its so conveniently out of the way and out of sight (spray painted to match bed) that when you sell the truck ya might forget to take it out. Wanna ask why I know that part? Haha.

The aluminum is just so it’s easier to secure with the velcro. You can obviously use steel just might need a couple extra straps.
The siliconed velcro straps are easily removable so it all comes out clean when selling the rig.

On the cover… have you ever done mpg comparison testing? Have it rolled up or even off then added it and tested yourself? I know some trucks they claim it makes improvements and some not. I remember mythbusters doing tailgate up and down testing and showed that on some trucks tailgate up and empty bed actually improved it. But they did do gmt400 iirc.

Oh yeah- for the tracks:
Take an old bed sheet, cut it down so it just goes under the lip of the rail, and over the edge of the rail a couple inches. Secure underneath so out of the way then on the side of the bed on the bed sheet- so they won’t scratch the paint. When done, remove the outside bed magnets first and just flip the sheet into the bed. Nothing in tracks and all mess into the bed.

You can buy a pack of rare earth magnets on amazon -I bought and use these often at work- https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Strong-Neodymium-Kitchen-Workplace/dp/B077PZLX6M/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=QI3AJRK0D76P&keywords=rare+earth+magnets+with+hooks&qid=1683468196&sprefix=rare+earth+magnets+with+hooks,aps,1010&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&smid=AADRPL0EEP9MO&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzTlE1WVYyRkhDVUwxJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTg4NDczNkhQVjNKWVZSS0lVJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAzMTgzMjlaV1JaREZaTFJPVDQmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9zZWFyY2hfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
For this task- maybe get 2 sets of the magnets.
And the hooks are important to help remove the magnets btw- ya need a handle! Those suckers hold on tight. But they unscrew if ya want the hook gone for a task, then can put it back in as a handle to remove

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks, Good stuff to try.

I like the bed sheet idea. I saw some pintrest or youtube people tarp below and then lay some tarp up over bed rails that is an idea too might be getting down to the last inch or so it might snag on the pitchfork. That could be a pick your poison. I have seen some guys use a tarp under load on those expanded metal trailers and have some up over the rail making it a tub. Tarp could help lift out the last bit of mulch and dont try to picthfork out the last few inches. Been thinking about one of those rolling bed tarp unloader things for the last foot deep of mulch. Plus tarp might work well.

I typically get down to rake clean then back up into the woods and sweep out the fines. Blow it out sometimes. I have air compressor blown the tracks out but the chunks still have to be picked out of the tonneau tracks.

A trailer would be nice but $$$ and I like using my truck. Sorta use it like a giant wheelbarrow and move it as necessary to reduce carry or pitch distance. Depends on where I am mulching some places I get son to help me 39 gal trashcan or 5 gal bucket it over to behind bushes. Have some outer areas around trees etc so a good bit of moving. That is why I don't get it delivered just do 3 cubic yards at a time.

I did google a bit and saw something called Gaffers tape might come in handy for this and other things.

On testing mpg nope at least not yet. The tonneau was for the wife so I could cover all her luggage ( she packs like a Victorian princess). Comes in handy to cover beach & tailgating gear, keeps eyes outa my bed. I know it won’t stop a thief but it makes them work for it. I got this model because it is suppose to be compatible with the Trac rack ladder rack that I want one day.

@schiker Gaffer's Tape is amazing for what it can do! Take it from a former sound man who used it for a myriad of things the creator of it never thought of! The stuff is tough, water resistant, strong, the adhesive holds great to surfaces from varnished wood stage floors to indoor/outdoor carpet, yet removes easily and cleanly.

Back