• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacing the exhaust manifolds?

Ray2377

1997 K3500 Flatbed Farm Truck
Reaction score
Do you have to pull the engine to replace the exhaust manifolds or can you get to them by removing the tire and inner fender? Mine, especially the driver side, are in horrible shape. Everything is extremely rusty and I expect to break off the bolts. I am going to try that welding on a nut to whatever stud is left to try and get them out.

Weld a washer to the stud, then weld a nut to the washer around the perimeter of the nut. Leave enough of the nut to put a wrench on it.

I can’t tell if they are bolts or studs. I found a YouTube that is pretty much like what I have. I would love to do it because the noise blows but it’s driveable. If I mess it up, I am screwed. I am having a hard time finding what to use for new bolts/studs and there seems to be a disagreement about using gaskets.
It would not let me direct-link the video.

Attachments

• 6D637D8C-41C3-43F0-8155-D5A199B07483.png
    6D637D8C-41C3-43F0-8155-D5A199B07483.png
    136.9 KB · Views: 6
I can’t tell if they are bolts or studs. I found a YouTube that is pretty much like what I have. I would love to do it because the noise blows but it’s driveable. If I mess it up, I am screwed. I am having a hard time finding what to use for new bolts/studs and there seems to be a disagreement about using gaskets.
It would not let me direct-link the video.

Are you saying to weld onto the stud part that’s sticking out from the old manifold?

I just had my first experience with welding a stud onto a broken bolt. It was on my Tractors’s thermostat housing. I could get the bolt to partially turn, but then it would break off. This happened at least 5 times and I was about to order a new housing, but I cranked the flux welder to its highest setting. It turned the nut into a round blob, but it came out with vice grips. Unfortunately, I gouged the facing of the housing while extracting it. I think the gasket will take care of that, at least I hope. I am hoping my exhaust bolts are easier.

Back