• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement Trans. Oil Cooler Lines

DieselSlug

Reaction score
Has anyone replaced their trans oil cooler lines? I called Rock Auto and they say one is on the drivers side and they both have quick connects. Which i know is not true. Mine all have threaded ends on them. When they rotted out the first time i just spliced in rubber hose and i dont want to do it again. Really looking for the stock rubber/crimped stuff. Does anyone know of a supplier? I dont want to pay outrageous dealer pricing. Thanks!

Most old stuff was all steel 5/16 line, same as brake line.

My '93 is all steel. If or when I need replacements, I'm bending and flaring my own. Just use the old as a pattern.

My 95 was all steel as well, I may even still have them. You can always go with the braided stainless steel AN lines on it.

That sounds like a plan, i will redo them with coated brake line. I dont have the time or money but the braided AN stuff would be sweet! I dont have the old lines as they were rotted badly, so i guess im going custom!

Usually parts stores will have the lines pre-flared with flare nuts ready to go.. Might get lucky on the length..? Measure three or four times :)

Just make sure the flare nuts are at each end before you get bendy.. :D

Usually parts stores will have the lines pre-flared with flare nuts ready to go.. Might get lucky on the length..? Measure three or four times :)

Just make sure the flare nuts are at each end before you get bendy.. :D

I have done that before! Stopped home at lunch and got all the fittings out, like you guys said all the same. Going to buy a bunch of line tomorrow and just take back what i dont use. Hopefully they have enough coated line in stock!

I recently had my tranny rebuilt, the mechanic asked if i would like to have brass 3/8" fittings installed in the case. I went with that and was then able to use 3/8 brake line. Stock on the '96 trucks are 5/16 line.

I measured from the case fittings to the new cooler and bought what i needed along with 3/8 rubber hose. I cut one end off each line then used a few inches of hose to connect the hard line to the tranny cooler.

Worked great, only tough part was bending 90s just before the cross over pipe, took my time with that part. Only took 15mins to hook up. 4k miles later and no issues or leaks.

The ss braided lines would be ideal IMO. But that is more costly.

Back