• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Replacement FFM options?

HighSierra86

Reaction score
Ok, so heres the deal. Ive noticed with the new FRC-10 LP, my stock FFM cant seem to hold up to the increased pressures. I keep running into an issue with the fuel filter o-rings blowing diesel all over the place. Not a small leak, but a stream of fuel on the ground. Im using AcDelco filters and never had this issue before swaping to this pump. I can usually get the filter to re-seat and be fine for a month or so, but they will randomly start to leak again.

So anyways, looking to get some ideas on what to buy to replace my stock filter settup. I have a 30mic racor pre-filter, so I just need a 5micron or so filter for the final clean. A spin on filter would be ideal. I think I recall racedaymechanic having something of this sorts but im not sure...

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Nick

Yes it does. I have swapped filters too, so i know that isnt the problem. The way these things seal isnt exactly perfect in the first place, couple that with the increased pressure and they just dont seem to hold up. At least in my situation it isnt...

-Nick

Something not quite rite what psi you running on it, I'm 10-12 psi with my FRB-5 Walbro, what O-ring rubber you using, ? possibly wrong composition and the Diesel fuel is making it soft & skwishy and prematurely failing/leaking?

Did you snug the filter retainer ring a little with a filter wrench? less than 1/8 turn.

The aging retainer ring needs a little bit persuasion and hand tight is not sufficient.

Never heard of this problem, As you bought the pump from me I'll offer you a FFM housing with a lock ring on it. Not sure if that would even do anything. Its an extra one I got laying around. You pay shipping and its yours. I'll include Viton orings for the heater and WIF also.
The stock FFM is hard to beat in features and price.

Has anyone else had a problem with this? I was looking at putting one of these lift pumps on my 99 6.5. I put a FRB-5 on my 93 and has worked great.

Never heard of this problem, As you bought the pump from me I'll offer you a FFM housing with a lock ring on it. Not sure if that would even do anything. Its an extra one I got laying around. You pay shipping and its yours. I'll include Viton orings for the heater and WIF also.
The stock FFM is hard to beat in features and price.

Leroy, I appreciate the offer, but im not sure the FFM is to blame. If I find that might be the case I do have a spare on the shelf as well.

I have been installing and tightening the filter the same as I always have. Same AcDelco filter brand. Had the stock LP, a FRB-5 and now the FRC-10. Never had any leaks till now. However I seem to be see higher pressure ratings than others with this pump. I normally see 13-14+psi as idle max. Driving pressure is obviously less.

I rebuilt my FFM 2 years ago with new o-rings and the such, and other than a problem with maybe the lock ring I dont see why it would all of the sudden become a problem.

-Nick

Has anyone else had a problem with this? I was looking at putting one of these lift pumps on my 99 6.5. I put a FRB-5 on my 93 and has worked great.

Not sure ive heard of anyone else with the issue. I wouldnt be concerned, the FRC-10 has been great so far with much better pressure than the FRB-5.

-Nick

It is, but I do believe there is a point with these IP's that there can be "too much" pressure as well. IIRC that would be right around the 15psi mark.

-Nick

Good point. I guess you have no choice but to perform a pressure test and ascertain where you are at. Otherwise it's all just theory.

I did mine a few months ago and haven't had a lick of trouble. I can hear the FRC10 all the time tap, tap. tapping away but no issues at the FFM whatsoever. I have the FRC10 and pre filter from Leroy also so my set-up is pre-filter head under passenger seat area on driver's side (Suburban), then the FRC10, then straight to FFM. I use the newer all-in-one filter (not the separate metal ring) and just replace the rubber seal each time I change the filter (which is fairly regularly since I run bio).

I bet it's something else. I had a shitload of problems with the FFM seals and it ended up I needed to replace my Feed-The-Beast line.

It is, but I do believe there is a point with these IP's that there can be "too much" pressure as well. IIRC that would be right around the 15psi mark.

-Nick

I've only heard high PSI will affect the DB2 pumps timming. On the DS4 no, but there is probally a point that is to high even for the DS4.
The FRC10 will wake up a DS4 truck, you can even hear the difference of the idle. Truck is very Peppy and ready to go whereas is felt slugish before.

Make sure nothing clogging inside the filter.
Also, some kink in the hoses after the FFM.

The reason of post #5 is experience.
My fuel filter will move up if the retainer ring is not snug with a wrench.
This is only with a 93 stock LP.

Sometimes, the ring let loose with vibration after some driving also.
At that time, I have to snug it again and that is probably it till I have to change it again.

The ring has worn out over the year and what you think it is tight, may not be as tight where fluid can go through it.

Also, my dad bought a fuel filter from AZ where the bleed hole is not there.
Victim of chinese made part??? This is a digression, though.

I've only heard high PSI will affect the DB2 pumps timming. On the DS4 no, but there is probally a point that is to high even for the DS4.
The FRC10 will wake up a DS4 truck, you can even hear the difference of the idle. Truck is very Peppy and ready to go whereas is felt slugish before.

I will agree. I also noticed how much quicker the truck starts as well. Amazing how something as simple as increased fuel flow and pressure can make such a difference in the workings of the truck.

Maybe I will try using one of the newer style all-in-one filters instead of the locking ring. Ive been hesitent as they just look cheap, but they might be a better option for sealing under these pressures.

Nick

Well, all I can go by is my experience and so far, love it. I use a WIX 33405 as my pre-filter, then the FRC10, then I just use NAPA 3976 in the FFM. No issues at all and I regularly tow a 10,000lb 30' travel trailer. Caveat: I have an A-Team turbo, and a KOJO tow-tuned ECM, and have done the Feed The Beast mod.

Back