• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

replace a srw rear end with a drw?

Aaron1505

Reaction score
Ok so I finally destroyed what was left of my 14 bolt ff on my 98 c3500 nv450 cclb last week. I've been looking for a replacement and it's proving to be harder than expected and not to mention how much people want for that rear end. I've found one for 500 bucks but it's from a 93 k3500 drw. Will that bolt up to my truck without any problems I'm pretty sure that the u joints are the same. Will I still be able to use my d max aluminum wheels? I don't want to pay the 500 for the rear but I kinda need it now. And I would like to use my wheels because I don't have anything else to bolt up to it.

I saw that one too. Do the older ones from the late 70's through the 80's bolt up? If so I found one closer for 125$ with 373 gears which is even better.

Ok just did a little reading and the differences between the first and second design is only cooling fins on the diff housing and the drums slide off on the second design so if anyone else knows any more about it or first hand experience I'm all ears.

As said spring perch is different. You won't be able to use SRW wheels without some really thick spacers. The frame is wider on SRW trucks.
IMO wait for a SRW axle.

Yea I've been looking around and haven't been able to come up with anything. Everything seems to be drw and if I find one that will work the owner thinks it's made of gold and wants a rediculos amount for it. I don't have too much time to wait I need this truck running again by Saturday to take my kid to the motocross races so I'll see what I'm able to come up with or hobble together

A rebuild on these are easy just takes time. I forget now I think I rebuilt mine for $275ish?? with all new bearing, seals, ring and pinion.

The rear end was run out of oil when I bought the truck so it dropped the pinion and ate the outside of the ring gear off so I took it apart and threw new berrings in it and cleaned up everything that was welded together and knocked off the cracked teeth on the ring gear and I think that it ended up costing me around 200 just for the berrings and seal. Where did u find a whole new kit for 275

Also a SRW is a different widtyh than a DRW. The dually axle is wider than a SRW unless it is a cab and chassis DRW.

The rear end was run out of oil when I bought the truck so it dropped the pinion and ate the outside of the ring gear off so I took it apart and threw new berrings in it and cleaned up everything that was welded together and knocked off the cracked teeth on the ring gear and I think that it ended up costing me around 200 just for the berrings and seal. Where did u find a whole new kit for 275

Sorry, just checked. It was closer to $500

Top of page, click "forum actions" then "general settings" at left side of page you'll see "edit signature"

Back