• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

removing the rensonator

put a cap over mine. its a little throatier and you can hear the turbo come on a little sooner (lb7 so it doesnt get noisy until ~2k rpms anyway) ..... now its down around 16-1700 when you hear it spool.

no performance gains, only sound

I now have installed the turbo inlet that is used with the MPI twins, its an aluminum piece that doesnt have the resonator port or the pcv port. I have also built up the outside of this at the 90* and removed inside material for better airflow. :D

Very impressive!!!

I did not cap mine's. Someone was saying that the resonator box might be an auxillary air support for WOT purposes...makes sense to me. I would like to see a comparison on a dyno with and w/out cap. Will anyone be on a dyno soon? Hope you can oblige and give some comparative figures...

i have removed the resonator on my truck after hearing about a few peoples stories about finding cracks and splits in them and letting unfiltered air into the engine.
after doing this i noticed a bit more tubro whistle and a little better throttle response.
i used a rubber pipe plug from lowes for $2.99
anyone else done this?

You betcha... a little louder, no worries about the resonator splitting, and the idea behind the resonator, while having some merit, just doesn't cut it, IMHO.

Show me a single cop car or anything of the like with mandatory high performance that has a resonator on it. They just don't.

I capped mine a couple weeks ago. Bought a 2" test plug at lowes and then slid the resonater back on so it looks stock. I didnt notice much difference in noise, but i DID notice that my resonator wasnt fitting real well and may have been letting a little dirt in so its worth it to check it out if nothing else.

Brian

lbz most likely wont..... you already have a vvt so you hear it spool up pretty early on. from what i've heard its the lb7 guys who notice it most. we have wastegated turbos w/out the vv technology. removing the resonator allows the turbo sound to be heard a little earlier on. i can pick it up now ~1500 rpm. never used to hear it till it got over ~2k.

lbz most likely wont..... you already have a vvt so you hear it spool up pretty early on. from what i've heard its the lb7 guys who notice it most. we have wastegated turbos w/out the vv technology. removing the resonator allows the turbo sound to be heard a little earlier on. i can pick it up now ~1500 rpm. never used to hear it till it got over ~2k.

that makes sense. still is a good mod to make sure no dirt is getting in.

Brian

When I capped mine, I found that someone in the truck's past had left off the top clamp to the resonator. I'm surprised that I didn't show a code. Now it's capped, and sealed... for sure! Little bit more exhaust/turbo noise, no noticeable performance increase, however.

Back