• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

removing the rensonator

Duramaxx04

Reaction score
i have removed the resonator on my truck after hearing about a few peoples stories about finding cracks and splits in them and letting unfiltered air into the engine.
after doing this i noticed a bit more tubro whistle and a little better throttle response.
i used a rubber pipe plug from lowes for $2.99
anyone else done this?

I heard you see some increases in whistle also. I may take mine off and see what happens...:D

Mine is gone as well, but I am running straight piped and didn't really notice anything. I have read that some have noticed a throatier note on a stock system with the cat and muff still in place.

i took mine off and put one of those rubber freeze plugs in it (the ones with the metal washers and the nut) then put a hose clamp around it as well. worked pretty good. i did it just to hear the turbo more:becky:

i took mine off and put one of those rubber freeze plugs in it (the ones with the metal washers and the nut) then put a hose clamp around it as well. worked pretty good. i did it just to hear the turbo more:becky:

Did you notice a major increase?

I took mine off and plugged with an inverted pvc cap to smooth flow to the turbo, then put the 2" quik cap on for looks

I don't ever bother with that stuff, I just go buy an actual intake system. My Fav is the AirAid and they aren't that expensive...
If your looking for a little more turbo whistle on a budget you cant beat the $3.00 plug from the hardware store for a quick fix, plus who needs an intake when the stocker is good for around 450-500hp IIRC. IMO I would save your $200+ and put it towards gauges or a tranny upgrade. just my 2cents

...but on the other hand, I definitely don't make 450hp and I'm looking at intakes now just so I can say I have one,:doh:

i have removed the resonator on my truck after hearing about a few peoples stories about finding cracks and splits in them and letting unfiltered air into the engine.
after doing this i noticed a bit more tubro whistle and a little better throttle response.
i used a rubber pipe plug from lowes for $2.99
anyone else done this?
yup, one of the first things I did. Who wouldnt want more noise for 2.99:D

Better Airflow mean better horsepower, so that stocker that you have 500hp with withh be 520 with an intake....so my $200 or so is worth it and i know I don't have 500hp, i have like 4something with the dodge and high 3's with the ford

Better Airflow mean better horsepower, so that stocker that you have 500hp with withh be 520 with an intake....so my $200 or so is worth it and i know I don't have 500hp, i have like 4something with the dodge and high 3's with the ford

Better airflow does equal more horse -power, I wont argue that. What I'm saying is an aftermarket intake isn't going to give you more horse-power, or any noticeable horse power if the stock box is already capable of flowing enough air to support 500hp. So basically your wasting your money unless your making more than 500hp unless your after more turbo noise and show factor.

Better airflow does equal more horse -power, I wont argue that. What I'm saying is an aftermarket intake isn't going to give you more horse-power, or any noticeable horse power if the stock box is already capable of flowing enough air to support 500hp. So basically your wasting your money unless your making more than 500hp unless your after more turbo noise and show factor.

I agree with this totally. A stock Dmax intake is more than capable of supporting 500HP. I know a guy with an 06' Lbz that has stock intake, 4" exhaust, and EFI Live with somewhere between 500-550HP.

Can you post some pics of the location of this plug. I am new and slow when it comes to these mods. I have an 03 lb7 thanks

I had tried plugging the resonator and didnt notice a power in crease or noise increase,or a MPG change so I put the stock resonator back on.

I now have installed the turbo inlet that is used with the MPI twins, its an aluminum piece that doesnt have the resonator port or the pcv port. I have also built up the outside of this at the 90* and removed inside material for better airflow. :D

Back