• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Removing shift boot?

bfourman

Reaction score
96 K2500 NV4500.

The PO of my truck replaced the clutch, but either forgot or didn't want to put the boot gasket back in. As a result, I get a lot of road and engine noise coming up from the boot.

It is just a matter of pulling it up from the floor, or is it fastened down somehow? Just wanted to make sure before tearing it up.

96 K2500 NV4500.

The PO of my truck replaced the clutch, but either forgot or didn't want to put the boot gasket back in. As a result, I get a lot of road and engine noise coming up from the boot.

It is just a matter of pulling it up from the floor, or is it fastened down somehow? Just wanted to make sure before tearing it up.

theres a metal ring that goes around it that is screwd down and then there are screws in the boot its self if i remember correctly the shifter should unscrew to make things some what easier

Josh is correct. There are 4 screws (one in each corner) of the metal trim ring, and then 4 more between them on the boot itself.

Got it, thanks. Ordered a new gasket from the local dealer; $8. PO only had 2 screws holding the boot down anyway, kind of glad I had to pull it up.

Just an update to this thread. The original gasket I ordered from the dealer was listed incorrectly in their lookup. The correct part number is 15024604 and was $20.74 wholesale cost. IIRC they list it as an "isolator".

The noise difference in the cab is amazing, definitely worth the $20 and 1/2 hour of my time.

It really does doesn't it? There was a night and day difference when i installed mine.

Glad you got it together :thumbsup:

thanks for the part number i will be getting a new one seeing as it came out in 2 pieces when took it apart to drop the tranny

It really does doesn't it? There was a night and day difference when i installed mine.

Glad you got it together :thumbsup:

Yeah, it's amazing. I installed a 3" straight pipe exhaust at the same time the truck was in the shop; it's quieter now even with the louder exhaust.

Back