• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Removing arm rests on 92, 93, 94 Suburbans and trucks (bucket seats)

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
For years since 1993 I never knew Until today!!

Never knew the arm rest were removable with out disassembly of the seat. Anyway I figuered out how to remove them. It was driving me crazy because they were sticky and would sqeek when moved. They needed to be lubed so I started playing with them and found the right combo to remove them.

94 Burban seat arm rests 001.jpg

Push in at pivot. I used a hammer handle
94 Burban seat arm rests 002.jpg
Rotate the arm rest rearward
94 Burban seat arm rests 003.jpg
94 Burban seat arm rests 004.jpg
It will pop out like this.

94 Burban seat arm rests 005.jpg
You have to get the head on the seat past the raised area in the groove of the guide channel.
94 Burban seat arm rests 006.jpg

I wonder if 95&^ are the same??

Now, how do you fix a front seatbelt so it retracts fully like it did when new.

Thanks for a great write up on something I have been wondering about. I need to print this. We are going to put seat covers on the 98 Suburban - the seat covers I bought 6 or 7 years ago when the drivers seat got a couple of cracks in the leather.

It takes maybe 5 seconds to get it off

The working ones maybe. The high effort ones... :skep:

30 min later it still would not pop in with a hammer, tire iron, etc so it could move backwards. So I used a blunt hammer to smack it backwards.
Then I pried on it some -about half an hour.
Then I got a pickle fork out and beat it into submission. :mad2: It finally came out of the seat.
I then sanded the rust off, used a battery post cleaner brush in the seat, greased it and put it back together.

Works fine now. Why it was rusty I don't know.

You do have to get a feel for it, but I can get mine off in maybe 5 seconds. Today it was so nice not having the binding and the sqweek when I moved it. On the Suburban 92-94 anyway they have armrests on both sides of both seats.

Now, how do you fix a front seatbelt so it retracts fully like it did when new.

Thanks for a great write up on something I have been wondering about. I need to print this. We are going to put seat covers on the 98 Suburban - the seat covers I bought 6 or 7 years ago when the drivers seat got a couple of cracks in the leather.
Knowing this will make seat covers so much nicer fitting. Before I had to wedge as much of the cover as I could get down in the pivot area and it looked like POOP.

1995 + is not the same. My seat has a padded part behind the armrest and the cut groove will not allow it to move back no matter what.

Google led me here, thanks for sharing this with us, it saved the day for me. I did have to pull the Velcro tabs apart at the bottom of the rear seat cover. And had to pull the zipper up in the back to allow me to put some Kroil in the hinge pin/socket area and soak for an hour. After that, the armrest that was giving several of us a very hard time, came right off. It does take a huge effort to get the armrest pushed in far enough to get to the large hole area, if there's any corrosion inside ( which is to be expected for a 94 model I have owned for the past 17 years).

Last edited:
Just found this write up that is quite old. Trying to fix a seat now and armrest is back but won’t pop off. It’s about 10 o’clock position behind seat. Doesn’t move farther and could feel it go through tighter area. How the hell do you pop it out?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 7
Just found this write up that is quite old. Trying to fix a seat now and armrest is back but won’t pop off. It’s about 10 o’clock position behind seat. Doesn’t move farther and could feel it go through tighter area. How the hell do you pop it out?
(10 years ago) If I recall they could be rusted so you may need to work it/twist it out. Some lube if you can will help.

Back