• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Regen

I know nothing just an idea popped in my head would a high idle warm up with remote start or high idle with timer shut down help for such a short commute?

Crank up and drive immediately use to be frowned upon.

Or some type of intake heater that runs longer than just to start it up. Maybe a high BTU diesel burner one.

My wife's BMW gasser has a pretty aggressive warm up program built into the vehicle management.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response Ferm! I am now on the fence on what to do.

Get a commuter 6.5pickup and use this one for RVing only. (Seriously a 4.3/5.7/7.4L gas engine truck is best for short trip abuse. Esp. with frequent oil changes and 1/2 the batteries it's cheaper to repair and maintain.)

Put up with it. (IMO the cheapest option, just burning the extra regen fuel, when tags and insurance are added up.)

Change jobs or homes for a longer commute to warm up the emissions.

Trade for the biggest available gas engine truck: do they still sell the 8.1L?

Find and rebuild a pre-emmisions diesel. (Or pay through the nose for a low mile good shape pre-emissions diesel.)

Until I get my finances straightened out (and likely even after that) I've been driving the Basket Case and leaving the LML home for mostly towing and long drives. It's mpg has jumped by at least 1 and it tows about and much as it's unloaded.

Back