• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Regen

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
My truck regens every damn single tank of fuel. Every time it does it drops my fuel economy down to 454 gas levels, if not worst. Is this normal?

I also have a 3 mile one way drive to work. This really sucks if regen kicks in on a Monday and I don't have time to drive for over 30 minutes above 30 MPH for it to do it's thing. This regen crap is the dumbest thing I have ever seen.

I have been looking for a video on the 2017 Duramax. I have read that the new emissions are not as bad as a 2015.

I still love my truck, just hate the emissions crap!

That must really suck for sure. I'd like to have a new truck everyday, but my 2006 lbs, ain't got not stupid particle filter or pea fluid tank, so I guess I'll just drive it a while.

Biggest thing on my mind in the future is the cost of injectors or something major as that. It's actually been on my mind to get rid of it and go gasser, no more than I tow.

I wanted a 2006, but, could not find one exactly like I wanted.
I can not even imagine what injectors would cost on this truck.

That's not right every tank. I dont know the right answer, but I know every tank isn't it.

Many would jump to ripping out certian components, but after my cousin getting caught- no friggin way. In my younger years I had a few tickets. None of them were for $10,000. He got 3 of them, for 10k each.

He wants to sell his truck to pay for them, but it is impounded as evidence until the court date next month.

So yeah, I would say don't delete components. 1 in a million you get caught, but if you do, you better have a million. Haha.

I want to delete when the warranty expires. But that will be a couple of years away.
There is a lot of deleted trucks in Texas. Your story is the first of anyone getting tickets I have heard about.

I agree, every tank is too much.

I agree, the last time I towed the first trip after got me the best fuel economy I have had.

He lives in Cali. It was a Hiway Patrol, he was speeding 8 over on the freeway. He got a ticket for that too, but what's another ther $250 when your 30k into it? He said the guy that pulled him over was asking about details on mods and seemed to have a somewhat advanced knowledge on diesels.

The weather and terrain is so beautiful. Scenery is amazing in so many places there. Noodle heads ruined it so bad. I hate going there b cause of it.

I take it, btw, tou can find anything "wrong".
Try really getting in to it, and go for a drive after work instead of straight home. Burn through a couple tanks this way. See of it quits the regen.

I know a lot of the guys that have really short drives like that have had problems of their egr system clogging up, basically just so easy on the throttle that it isn't creating high enough flow through the circuit.

Also at low rpm diesels produce worse waste than when they are in their torque range. Think about it this way- for diesels in tractor pulls or drag racing they always waste a bunch of fuel and fill the sky with smoke. Why, because its better to have more than enough fuel coming through to gain maximum power.

Old 6.2, super weak and underpowered compared to yours. Never wasted much fuel. But the first thing to do to get any more power is crank up the fuel screw. Now you have some gitty up, but a puff of smoke left behind.

Your truck is tuned to dump more fuel than you are using everytime you take off so that just in ase you need to put your foot in it and uleash the beast- you can. The excess fuel is being detected by the system and figures it needs to clean.

If the change in driving habit solves it- you have the wrong tune for what you are doing. You need something with some tune selection where the one you use to and from work is "tree hugging, fuel sipping, put your foot in it and it barely even moves mode". Just dont put that label on a sticker on your dash please. Maybe "eco" instead.

What say you @THEFERMANATOR , your the tune master here afaik. Is there such a multi tune unit out there for him?

Short drives are the reason I have a small fortune in a a couple pre-emission diesels. (CA would F with me if I was still running commercial as they wish to interfere with interstate commerce by requiring older out of state trucks that deliver to CA to retrofit to DPF technology while exempting some of their own in state companies.) IMO it's better than a small fortune in a new emission strangled diesel truck. Short trips are the worst for DPF because it can't regen let alone get up to temperature.

Gas engines for a new truck are a real consideration if you live outside the "ideal" diesel emissions use. That is cheaper cost, cheaper maintenance, cheaper fuel per gal, and in some use cases same MPG. The new gas engines, 1/2 ton, are better than what one can get out of a 6.5TD.

The only other place I dislike the DPF emissions is the EPA's other screw up delaying the use of DEF. This caused extreme EGR to be used to control NOx and serious reliability problems with engines choking on this much soot: worse on some engines more than others. Case in point our 2008 LMM would always be in regen after a good flat out pull up a grade into town with a 28' trailer where IMO it should have had enough load to burn the DPF clean. The bolts on the DPF failed resulting the truck smoking worse than a NA 6.2 climbing the grade. The EGR completely clogged up next and resulted in the smoke clearing up. That's a lot of black smoke DPF clogging EGR to control an invisible NOx.

100,000 miles towing at 10 MPG needs 10,000 gal of diesel. $26,500 at $2.65 a gal. A 10% improvement (or more) gets 11 MPG needing 9,090.91 gal, cost $24,090.91. DPF costs you at least $2409.09 more. This is worst case as others report even better MPG improvements.

So now you know why VW reduced the EGR in highway mode after supposedly using a loophole on emissions tests. Well our ignorant EPA couldn't properly test for their own standards at the time. Since when is it ok to require this much MPG loss for NOx especially when the EPA can't properly test for their own requirements? After all ambulances and fire trucks breaking down resulting documented loss of life is just fine with the EPA to meet it's imaginary unobtainable goals.

Simple: when automakers bend over and take it because vehicle owners are "easy" targets. Asking farmers, electric plants, and other deep pockets to reduce emissions will result in litigation and paid political interference.

Last edited:
I do not baby this truck. The acceleration is addicting and fun.
I need to hook up to my 5th wheel and pull it, that will clear it up.

You do realize Tanner most people seem to gloss over that fact. Everyone seems to think taxing a business only taxes the business (ie cut their profit) but in order for a business to stay profitable (the reason they're in business) they simply pass it on to the consumer. Oil companies are a great example of this. Media goes on about their exorbitant profit, truth is its simply x% but made large by volume. In essence you can't tax a business only the consumer.

Your short commute is killing you. I'm surprised you're only regening once a tank with only a 3 mile commute. You need to drive roughly 15 miles just to get the exhaust system fully up to temp. As to newer trucks, they have even more on them. The big difference is GM put the 1st scr cat right at the turbo so as to use every bit of engine heat they can and not waste any of it. They also got away from the HIGHLY failure prone BOSCH CP4.2 system that is well known for failing anywhere north of 75K miles, and taking out over $3K worth the injectors(this has happened enough that there is actually a pretty good demand for lml injectors, so it brought the price WAY down). And when that cp4 goes, it plugs both regulators with metal, high pressure lines, injectors, rails, ALL of it. The bill has tipped $10K for more than a few to get them back going again. Needless to say, I would NOT want to own an LML after all I've seen on them over recent years. The L5P does have alot of changes, but 2010 and older for me. And if my sac injectors take care of the LB7 achilles heel, then that makes them that much better.

Your short commute is killing you. I'm surprised you're only regening once a tank with only a 3 mile commute. You need to drive roughly 15 miles just to get the exhaust system fully up to temp. As to newer trucks, they have even more on them. The big difference is GM put the 1st scr cat right at the turbo so as to use every bit of engine heat they can and not waste any of it. They also got away from the HIGHLY failure prone BOSCH CP4.2 system that is well known for failing anywhere north of 75K miles, and taking out over $3K worth the injectors(this has happened enough that there is actually a pretty good demand for lml injectors, so it brought the price WAY down). And when that cp4 goes, it plugs both regulators with metal, high pressure lines, injectors, rails, ALL of it. The bill has tipped $10K for more than a few to get them back going again. Needless to say, I would NOT want to own an LML after all I've seen on them over recent years. The L5P does have alot of changes, but 2010 and older for me. And if my sac injectors take care of the LB7 achilles heel, then that makes them that much better.

...Hey, my LML has been a great truck! Runs good. :D

They do run good, but I cringe everytime I hear about a cp4 letting loose, and it actually makes me feel better about having my lb7.

Back