• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Redhead Steering Box

Well it’s not the steering box, but it is the steering shaft throughout (this is on the ‘99 Suburban):

Steering shaft has been on there for like 4 years and maybe 10K to 12K miles. I ordered new Borgeson upper and lower shafts for both the ‘99 and ‘94 Suburbans. The ‘94 has the rag joint which I did replace using a kit. It is fine, but not that it is my rig, I’m going the distance.

Besides the rag joint or ujoints in use, you have to feel the pitman arm movement to realize how much movement there is in the box itself.

Since this case has the joint that is smoked, in that short of mileage, is that style a grease-able unit or just raw pins?

Is this worn or can I adjust out this play?

Looks about like my redhead that ate itself taking out my hydro-boost and 2 pumps(didn't get all the metal out after the initial failure causing the spool valve to stick and blowing pump #2 apart). I replaced mine with a junkyard box I re-sealed a year ago.

Looks about like my redhead that ate itself taking out my hydro-boost and 2 pumps(didn't get all the metal out after the initial failure causing the spool valve to stick and blowing pump #2 apart). I replaced mine with a junkyard box I re-sealed a year ago.
It’s the steering shaft. Lower spider joint is shot. Upper part of lower is really loose where it slides into the upper. I’ve ordered uppper and lower Borgeson units.

I just got an edelmann box. I'm done with redhead
Let us know how it is. these style boxes are notorious for the pitman shaft portion of the housing getting egg shaped then you get side to side play. when rebuilders re-do them and they don't machine out the housing and insert a steel bushing to true it up before installing bearings and seals the box will work find for a short while and then that side movement comes right back creating slop in the steering.

Back