• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I measured the distance for the tie down hook. Then I removed it. Last time I used the camper it felt like this tie down hook was going to pull right out. Know I see why. It was not held on by much. All the wood around it was pretty rotted. The 4 screws were very rusty along with the bracket.
IMG_1273.jpg
As I was installing the plastic over the fridge hole I stepped on the wood and caused most of the damage. I then pulled threw the 12v wires and removed the plastic plug. I played around with the propane line but the wind is getting bad from the rainy weather. I will play around some tomorrow.
IMG_1274.jpg
Here is the plastic, aka black trash bags stapled and taped up.
IMG_1275.jpg
I will probably have to add some wood to support the plastic.

Done some more destruction on the camper today. Took out the floor that supports the fridge. It is amazing what little wood supports that heavy fridge.
IMG_1276.jpg
Removed the 110v outlet for the fridge.
IMG_1277.jpg
Just a picture to show y'all the rot and for me how to figure out when its time to put it all back together.
IMG_1278.jpg
I removed the partially rotted wall between the fridge and small storage area.
IMG_1279.jpg
Before I ripped out that one board in the center of the picture, I would take its picture. It seems the only purpose for the board is to support the wall.
IMG_1280.jpg
I did more ripping and cutting out of rotted wood but forgot to take a picture.
Once again I had to crop all but one picture. I need to adjust the setting on my camera, if I can! :mad2:

Here is what I cut out yesterday.
IMG_1281.jpg
I cut even more out today. I will have to take it farther in around this board facing the camera that runs in toward the camper. It looks like it might be rotted all the way in.
IMG_1282.jpg
I cut another small section out. The next board is actually two separate boards running toward the camper. They seem like they are still good.
IMG_1283.jpg
Cut and ripped out the two rotted out front to rear wood beams. It is starting to look open.
IMG_1284.jpg
Here is a shot of the entire area I am working on.
IMG_1285.jpg
I will get more ripped out tomorrow if it does not rain.

Me too too. Whats going to be Lance when you are done? Get some vinyl graphics that say Marty :hihi:

You should have made templates of the pieces, then it would have been a breeze to build one from scratch.;)

I am really surprised at the amount of rot that you have found, and the severe extent of the rot. The wood pieces are completely toast. You have really rebuilt this camper shell thoroughly.

You should have made templates of the pieces, then it would have been a breeze to build one from scratch.;)

Most of the wood I am yanking out is too rotted for that. It usually come off is chunks of rotted wood. So far I have been using the wood I have been yanking off for the proper size for cutting down the new wood.

I wish I could do that. But, if I could I would not be yanking this thing apart like I am.

I did not get too much work done on the camper today. It was too nice out not to spend some time with my kids.

I did get some done with only one picture.
IMG_1286.jpg
I was having a heck of a time to get the last of the wood out toward the back. I did cut out some good wood. But, I needed to too get a good spot to properly screw, tack, nail, and glue in the good wood.

I still need to finish prepping the front area and under were the propane tanks once sat.

Here is what I cut out yesterday.
IMG_1287.jpg
I also cut out the entire wood beam that ran left to right under the propane tank. I was going to leave it in and support it on either side. But, it was in bad shape.
IMG_1288.jpg
I am waiting on a clear, wind free, rain free day to install the two wood beams. I have to entirely remove the front jack on this side. I still have more prep work to do and more rot to yank out. I will work on it days this week that are rain free.

On a good note, it seems all the wood beams I am yanking out are 1 1/2" by 3/4". This means I can get all the wood I need from one 2X4.

I will get hopefully a lot of work done on this camper this week. Here is my start of the day.
IMG_1294.jpg
I will post again later on today. This is only the beginning of the day.

I'm tearing into mine today too. My right rear jack is loose and I'm not sure whether there's wood damage there and can't get to the area very well because of how the shower stall sits in there so am going to pull the skin on the right side and check everything out. I pulled the windows and doors on the left side a couple of years ago to reseal everything and all the wood on that side looked like new but the guy I bought the camper from had just done the right side dinette window. He said the wood on that side was good and had pictures where he had replaced the bottom part of the wood frame at the bottom of the dinette window. He hadn't pulled the skin though and just cut out the inside paneling along the back of the dinette. I like pulling the outside skin since it's just some screws and staples and allows me to reseal everything as good or better than new. As you can see on your project, sealing these things regularly is probably the most important maintenance step there is. I run new caulk around the windows, door and fixtures every year and if the original caulk (the flat, grey putty stuff that comes in rolls - can't remember what it's called at the moment) has hardened I pull the window or door, clean it up, and replace it with new. After I put the window or whatever back in I run a plastic putty knife or plastic picnic knife around it to trim the putty even with the window frame and then run a bead of good quality mildew resistant exterior caulk. I can pull everything on a 8 or 10 foot camper in about 2 hours but cleaning the old putty takes me a good 4 hours, then another couple of hours reinstalling. I usually wait until the next day to run the beads of caulk.

I have two beams too install on the lower portion. Here is the upper beam installed.
IMG_1295.jpg
Here is how I connected it too the rear of the camper. I added a short beam two tack it in too.
IMG_1296.jpg
I replaced the one rotted board and added two support beams for them too attach too.
IMG_1297.jpg
Here is the lower beam sitting in place. It is fighting gravity and only held in place with the two C clamps.
IMG_1298.jpg
Back to work I go. I just stopped for a late lunch. :hello:

I got the lower beam installed. I liquid nailed it, nailed it, and screwed it in place. It should not be going anyplace anytime soon.
IMG_1299.jpg
I still have more to do in this area. I hope to get lots done tomorrow. :agreed:

Back