• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding of a Truck Camper

I got the license plate lights wire ran.
IMG_1243.jpg
Then I installed the left side siding.
IMG_1244.jpg
I then installed the right and center siding.
IMG_1245.jpg
Here is a picture of all the siding up. I am so glad I have gotten this far. It seems like for ever ago I started this project.
IMG_1246.jpg
I got the butyl tape installed on the door.
IMG_1247.jpg
If the rain will stop I will get the door installed today.

Door is on!
IMG_1248.jpg
This will be all till sometime tomorrow! :thumbsup:

It is starting to look like a camper again and not a construction zone. :hihi:

It still looks good even from the other side of the world:hihi: You could live in it and rent the house now?

This has been a great project to watch and it's really great to see it so close to finished. Fantastic job! Can't wait to see the post of you sitting in a campsite with it!!

Looks better than new! :thumbsup:

Thank you! :thumbsup:

It still looks good even from the other side of the world:hihi: You could live in it and rent the house now?

Thanks, I hope not. It is crowded for 4 people. :agreed:

This has been a great project to watch and it's really great to see it so close to finished. Fantastic job! Can't wait to see the post of you sitting in a campsite with it!!

Thanks! I still have the side under the fridge and propane tanks to complete. Then I will have to go to the inside and figure out what to put down on the floor for flooring. I am a lot closer than when I started. I will get some work done on it this weekend. :hello:

The flooring i would look into the armstrong linoleum, the faux patterns they have now look so real. It is easy to take care of and looks good, and cost is not bad.

Went up to Home Depot this morning and got most of the bumper lag bolts. I also picked up the last two door bolts. The bumper fit much better since I trimmed off the wood for the siding to fit. Here it is installed.
IMG_1249.jpg
I need to install 5 more lag bolts. I currently has 13 lag bolts holding it in place. I need more shorter lag bolts for under the door and along the side. I will go back to Home Depot and exchange them out. I originally got 16 long and 2 shorter lag bolts.
IMG_1250.jpg
I started to put the trim up to hide the door bolts. It was breaking in cracking every time I attempted to push it into its channel. I will need to purchase some new trim. I still want to tap into the reverse lights for spot lights. Still got a lot more little things to do.

I am planning on using laminate wood planks for the flooring. I will run the left to right opposite of the forward and rearward wood plank supports boards underneath.

Looks really good Marty. Just serious, but did you happen to take a weight of the camper prior to the start of this project? You did a great job of replacing and making the rotted parts stronger. Probably the way it should have been done at the factory when new, but we know that if they can save 10 cents, they will, even if it isn't as strong. Just really curious as to the weight difference of the old and the new.

Looks really good Marty. Just serious, but did you happen to take a weight of the camper prior to the start of this project? You did a great job of replacing and making the rotted parts stronger. Probably the way it should have been done at the factory when new, but we know that if they can save 10 cents, they will, even if it isn't as strong. Just really curious as to the weight difference of the old and the new.

Nope, never been on the scale with this camper. I am sure I have added quite a bit of weight. We will see how it looks on my truck soon, I hope! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments.

You might think about putting some 30# felt paper (tarpaper) between the layers of flooring to keep it from squeaking when walking on it.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Instead of felt paper I think I will use Traffic Master premium 3 in 1 underlayment. It will help add an extra layer of insulation and noise reduction.

I added the last 5 lag bolts to the rear bumper. It is now 100% mounted up onto the camper.

I put some butyl tape onto the side door and installed it. It did not have any butly tape before, instead it had foam. Here it is,
IMG_1251.jpg
As you can see by the picture I was stopped by the rain.

Were the reflector once was mounted on the bottom rear. I am thinking of mounting a red led marker light. I can "T" into the license plate light and be done.

I will put a few more layers of wood sealer on the bottom and install that trim back on. I still need to purchase new screws for it. The old ones were pretty rusty and no longer usable.

I will not be getting much done over the next two weeks. I will be in a school for 12 hours a day for the next 12 days straight starting Monday. :agreed:

Good move on the underlayment Marty... The 30# felt is old school (like me) too heavy, (like me), and probably much cheaper. Your workmanship, sir, is much admired, along with your perseverance... :thumbsup:

Good move on the underlayment Marty... The 30# felt is old school (like me) too heavy, (like me), and probably much cheaper. Your workmanship, sir, is much admired, along with your perseverance... :thumbsup:

The only two problems I had with the felt paper is it came in a huge role for around $17. The other part was I just have some issue with throwing away anything. Especially anything I spent money on. Maybe that is one problem? :???:

I think your felt paper is cheaper. :agreed:

Thanks for the kind words! :thumbsup:

I think my perseverance is from not being able to afford a new one. :D

Good suggestion on the vinyl floor. I used it on my front porch (wood look) It sticks to the piece next to it (not the floor) so its a floating floor. Seems perfect for the app? Made for indoor use, but I've had it out doors on my porch for over a year with no fading.....ect
Got it at Home Depot.

The school was a no go, so more work being done on the camper.
I started working on the outer rear right side trim. I had to remove the jack to get the screws installed straight. I got the one section installed along with the lower jack mount.
IMG_1252.jpg
I then got the last lower trim installed along with fully installing the jack.
IMG_1253.jpg
I then got the rear ladder installed.
IMG_1254.jpg
I was about to call it quits for the night. But, felt like getting a little more done. So like the items above I placed some butyl tape around the edges. Then I installed the rear tail light.
IMG_1255.jpg
It is starting to look like a camper again! :hihi:

Tomorrow I will hopefully get more done. :thumbsup:

Back