• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding a GM8 turbo,show and tell

i noticed my turbo got some play in the shaft will a rebuild kit fix this or do i need to just replace the whole thing? its a gm8 305xxxkm on it

Good thread, very informative, thank you.:thumbsup:

With this thread, and the gear reduction starter thread (under construction now), when can we expect the injector rebuild thread in your ongoing series of 6.2/6.5L DIY threads.....( Canadian winters are great for projects...LOL).:agreed:

Good thread, very informative, thank you.:thumbsup:

With this thread, and the gear reduction starter thread (under construction now), when can we expect the injector rebuild thread in your ongoing series of 6.2/6.5L DIY threads.....( Canadian winters are great for projects...LOL).:agreed:
yeah,besides the extensive "honey do" list,rebuilding the lawntractor,building a quikattach for the wheel loader, getting the tractors ready for spring,tinkering with the 6.5 trucks,plowing snow and feeding the critters to name a few things , i got dickall else to do "right.LOL

Snow shoeing is the rage around here now, you could try that in your spare time:rolleyes5::hihi:

Great write-up for sure. Was having a serious lack of power, though boost-gauge said there was boost, and you could hear spooling. I purchased a rebuild kit, and have removed my turbo to rebuild. Once apart, I see that impeller is a bit damaged. Is this caused by worn bearings? Its obviously NOT part of the rebuild kit. Are just these available, or is now the time to get an upgraded one? Any advice appreciated!!! Thx

Attachments

• TurboBlade2.jpg
    TurboBlade2.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 33
  • TurboBladeSml.jpg
    TurboBladeSml.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 25
A Team Turbo, do a search on here, there is at least 5 or 6 threads dedicated to it. Last I checked it was about $800 for the kit. I'm planning on buying one as soon as tax season comes around

I just was working on my Holset WH1C and got then center section back together. Oiled up the bearings, the spinning assembly seems a bit tough to turn? how easy did yours spin after the rebuild? Im wondering if i did something wrong, i torqued to right specs.

Great write-up for sure. Was having a serious lack of power, though boost-gauge said there was boost, and you could hear spooling. I purchased a rebuild kit, and have removed my turbo to rebuild. Once apart, I see that impeller is a bit damaged. Is this caused by worn bearings? Its obviously NOT part of the rebuild kit. Are just these available, or is now the time to get an upgraded one? Any advice appreciated!!! Thx
This one is junk.^^^

i have a complete good GM 5 only about 20 K on it after rebuild, came of a 95.
PM me if interested

I've got this same turbo my friend and I are going to try and rebuild. I am a Ford guy, but volunteered to do this for a friend as I've got the time. I ordered the rebuild kit and really the only thing that I am concerned with is making sure it is balanced. What is the best way to make sure everything is lined up correctly? I am figuring a punch on the compressor and impeller housings, and then use a scribe and make a dot that lines up with the dot on the housing. Does this sound ok?

By the way I really appreciate this thread. After having done writeups for stuff on my Fords stopping to take pics really adds time to the project, but it is always appreciated.

Me thinks the impellers are individually balanced at the factory,i never had a problem with vibration after rebuild.
How the heck would one balance it on the truck anyway.

Me thinks the impellers are individually balanced at the factory,i never had a problem with vibration after rebuild.
How the heck would one balance it on the truck anyway.

How would you notice a vibration? If you did hear something, it would be too late. Turbo's spin at 100,000rpm, its cheap insurance.

Balance on the truck? Its not a wheel, :rof:

They put the turbine and compressor wheel together with the nut and put it on a balancer and balance it. The other way is with the cartridge assembled, ala the GT DBB turbo's.

Back