• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rebuilding a GEP Engine

My 6.2 was out of a van,it had a vented oil cap ,and a breather hose coming off the fill neck,then went to the air cleaner spacer,or intake,can't remember. I just ran a breather hose to the ground as I don't want oil sucked into my turbo.

Someone here posted this site last week sometime, so I cant take credit for it. But the military is starting to "dump" these off, cheap too. It all just depends on where you are or have the money to ship. Some reason Cali has quite a few. There was two in AL that looked like they were never fired.
The biggest downfall I could find about going thru this site was the security clearance. It states on your first won item security clearance could take up to 90 days.

http://www.govliquidation.com/index.html

I bought a 2 ton trailer from them. The security clearance only took about one week.

Anyone know if the NA and Turbo GEP engines have different compression ratios? I have been looking all over for info on the GEP engines and found this spec sheet for a M1097A2 HMMVW, which is a Hummer. In any event, it has a NA GEP 6500 engine that has 21.5:1 compression. But this page list the turbo and NA Optimizer at 20.2:1. I'm thinking it could be a misprint or maybe the real Hummers get a higher comp ratio than the regular production engines? I guess once I get the pistons out I can run the part number and figure out what I have.

BTW, I ordered a set of ARP head studs yesterday. Can someone verify, I think the main & rod bolts are reusable, not TTYs?

I remember reading that the main bearing bolts are not tty. Rod bolts are definitly reuseable. I'd go with main studs as an insurance policy.Better fastener .

I remember reading that the main bearing bolts are not tty. Rod bolts are definitly reuseable. I'd go with main studs as an insurance policy.Better fastener .

:iagree:
Studs go deeper into the block. This can put the stress over more metal and hopefully reduce cracking vs. the ~5-6 threads the main bolts get hold of.

Main studs would be nice, but ARP does not sell a kit for 6.2/6.5's. If they did, I would give it serious thought. I have used their stuff on several other engines and its the bees knees!

Talk to Bill Heath, I'm sure ARP sells one.

yep, I just seen one on Ebay ... NIB ..... for $173 for the 6.2L

I used 6.2 engine for the search parameter....... not 6.2 diesel, not 6.2L diesel engine ...... just 6.2 engine.

crap ..... I read that and for some reason thought head studs ........

no ... haven't seen main studs ...... and I troll ebay every day looking for parts ......

Last edited:
you know ..... I wish Kennedy would put up pics of his stuff in the descriptions so I can see what I am buying

that could be the main stud kit and the girdle or you could read it to say that it is only the girdle....... "kit" could refer to either .....

although ..... that would be reasonably priced for a girdle or a stud kit .... if its both then thats a bonus ........

I thought Bill Heath used main bearing studs on the LSR truck, they would know if anyone does. A call to Bill maybe?
Don

I took the engine apart today. I'm convinced this engine has never been run, except maybe on a test stand when built. Everything is basically as new. The only problem I see is one of the cylinders that had the rust from the water intrusion may be pitted beyond what honing will clean up. I just cannot tell. I will be taking the block over to the machine shop on Monday and see what they say. Other than that, I really believe I could reuse everything in the engine. I spent some time removing the casting flash from the oil drainback areas of the block, still have a bit more to do. There is also some down by the lifter bores so I'm going to try and get that tomorrow. Also had to grind down one of the mounting lugs under the motor mount. Mine hit one of the extra lugs there, it must be for a HMMWV or something.

GEPMainsaddes.jpg

No cracks and not much dirt, it looks real clean. You can just see the casting flash between the back two cylinders.

Back