• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear diff capacity

I changed it and it took all 4 qts. That left it right at the bottom of the fill hole. I drained almost 3 qts. out of it. The fluid didn't look bad or smell bad. The drain plug had some fines, but nothing alarming.

I do feel better now that it has 4 qts. of Mobile synthetic.

Thanks for the replies to my questions.

I drained almost 3 qts. out of it. The fluid didn't look bad or smell bad.

1) If you had that much from the factory I'm surprised. Usually it's 2-1/2 at best.
2) But did it smell like grape juice?
3) Good choice with the Mobil 1.

1) If you had that much from the factory I'm surprised. Usually it's 2-1/2 at best.
2) But did it smell like grape juice?
3) Good choice with the Mobil 1.

1) It was somewhere between 2-1/2 and 3, I didn't measure it precisely. I poured it into 2 quart containers for recycling. It filled one and went between 1/4 and 1/2 on the second container.

2) It really didn't smell like grape juice to me. But then it really didn't smell like regular gear lube either. I don't know. But I have smelled burned gear lube from a hot diff and it didn't smell like that, so I was happy:thumbsup:

3) Thanks, I'm going to put Mobile 1 in the front diff also.

I am thinking of doing this to mine also. Good info.

I'll get 4 quarts of mobil 1 gear oil, ... any procedure specific, or just open drain plug and drain, .. then jack up each tire to get the oil out of there?

Nothing specific. Drop the old fluid out the drain plug on the bottom and add new in the fill plug. I did drop my spare tire to make room for adding fluid, since I didn't have a pump available. That made plenty of room to tilt the plastic bottles of Mobil 1 and fill the rear end. Drain pan sat under the rear end and I didn't have to jack up the truck at all. Very easy.

oh if the syn was burnt the whole neighborhood would have smelt it.

Oh yeah!!!!! I did mine this weekend and put on a slick Mag Hitech diff cover. That oil must have been boiling at some point because it stunk to high heaven. With the new diff cover it tooks seven quarts!!! :eek:11:

what weight rearend oil do you put in the rearend and what is the best synthetic to run in the front and rear with what weights.

what weight rearend oil do you put in the rearend and what is the best synthetic to run in the front and rear with what weights.
75W90 synthetic. Alot have used Mobil1 (I did) and many have gone with the factory "grape juice" (I did on my '05) but it's about $30/qt. You might check with Ashton (Wrecker) a vendor here for Amsoil products as well.

Back