• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

REAR BRAKE UPGRADE AND FRONTS FOR 94 K3500 4X4 SRW??

I havent done it since it wont work with mine now, but I believe if you can find wheel studs that will go in from the back with a shoulder on them, you can run 01-07 2500hd rotors. The measurements all add up so they should line up, but they're only 1.25" thick so you're limited to the 2500 8 lug calipers.
Thanx

I just went and rechecked it. The reason I didnt try the newer rotors is they are .300 larger in diameter than ours are. You would also have to run thr drw calipers as they're 1.5 inches vs 1.25 inches for our srw. I'm sure it could be made to work, but not with off the shelf parts, or without alot of reworking.

So if a guy turned the rotors to the right diameter that would be the only rework needed?
When I looked into the measurements that was all I could find. But I don't know if then you would have problems with the pad/caliper hitting on the inside. I never tried mocking one up, so all I can go by is the published measurements.

You need to look at if the finned area is larger or the same. Cutting the wall thickness down alot could mean getting the walls too thin which would allow easier warping.
But if the finned area is the same, then the walls are just thicker and yes could be turned down.

Will we're not talking about making it thinner just smaller in diameter. As Ferm mentioned it might be an issue of hitting the center hub with the pads/caliper after that

Thanx to all who responded, might just leave’em like they are, not a lot of roads here in tha bush...

I looked at all the rear disc brake conversion kits. It was cheaper to harvest a complete 14 Bolt Full Floater axle from a GMT 800 truck, including the brakes. You need to cut off the spring perches and snubber perches and weld new ones on to fit the width of the GMT 400 springs and snubbers. The GMT 800 axles are 2” wider.

I wouldn’t even consider replacing the rear drums before addressing the front. The GMT 800 front disc brake conversion is documented in several threads here. I have done two conversions on K2500 Suburbans and it is the gold standard for stopping power. I tried everything else, save for TheFerminator’s GMT 400 3500 front brakes, and the GMT 800 conversion is a quantum leap over everything.

Back