• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Rear axle seal leak

1994ch

Reaction score
I have a rear seal leak on left side (the drum is full of gear oil). It appears that there are grooves worn into the spindle where the seal rides. I replaced the seal a couple years ago and it seemed to help some but it is starting to leak again pretty good. Is there some kind of repair sleeve that can be slid over the spindle to re-seal it or will I need to take the whole rear end out and find someone to repair it? This is on my truck.... and I believe it is the GM 10.5" 14 Bolt rear end.

Best Timkin P/N I can find is 99282 (Redi Sleeve). Rock Auto Price is about $22. The SKF Speedi Sleeve P/N 99845 from NAPA is about $100. I have not been able to find the P/N by application......just had to measure the shaft and go to a sizing chart

I found a post at pirate 4x4 saying to use the new style seals. Look up a 01 2500hd with a 6.0l and get the seals for a 10.5" aam. It's a factory unitized seal where a rubber grommet holds the inner portion to the spindle, and another holds the outer to the hub, and the seal rides against itself.

Thanks will look into that........ do they recommend putting a repair sleeve on first or just put the new style seal straight over the worn spindle?

Just put the new style seal straight on. It mounts with a heavy rubber boot basically to seal against most anything. Everything I found says the new style seal is the prefferred option.

I have part number 2081 for just a standard seal on the hub you need to remove to get the drum off. 8 lug. Should help verify yours, but, they made some variations like drums that come off without pulling the hub, etc.

Back