• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Really high egts and lots of cold smoke..IP ?

I didn't play with it today. we got 6 inches of snow last night so by the time we went to church and then cleaned up the snow there was only time left for some snow quadding...:D
The messed up part is the egts seem to be consistent whehter or not I'm towing. Very weird.

yeah and I have the TM looser than Heath's spec. Now WITHOUT turning this into a pissing match..Can anyone speculate or know FOR SURE if the ecm from my 1998 k2500 be swapped into this Dually ? Swapping ECM's might show if Heath's tune is asking more of htis truck than it should as well as giving me a peak at what the burb might run like tuned. The burb is stock. Also I have never screwed with the Theft relearn nor do I know what it is or what it does. I don't want to swap ecms and then screw something up and have both trucks down. I drive 60 miles a day round trip and that is a rough ride in a the CUCV....:D
BTW when I asked Bill H himsef, He said no.

Now WITHOUT turning this into a pissing match..Can anyone speculate or know FOR SURE if the ecm from my 1998 k2500 be swapped into this Dually ? Swapping ECM's might show if Heath's tune is asking more of htis truck than it should as well as giving me a peak at what the burb might run like tuned. The burb is stock. Also I have never screwed with the Theft relearn nor do I know what it is or what it does. I don't want to swap ecms and then screw something up and have both trucks down. I drive 60 miles a day round trip and that is a rough ride in a the CUCV....:D
BTW when I asked Bill H himsef, He said no.

It will go but I doubt it will operate correctly, I just ran this test Thursday night, I had (2) PCM cores I wanted to know if the would be good runners before wasting time to get reflashed, I'm supplying Bill with some PCMs I have been picking up here & there for some more ATT tune tweaking.

I did the theft deterrent learn 30 minutes reqd each PCM one took 2 times, truck started but ran like crap one was a 99 Chevy K2500 truck PCM, other was a 98 chevy C1500 burb PCM, the C1500 PCM was stock flash out of my Burb I think; in my K1500 truck it never would come out of 3rd gear truck is 3.73 4x4, & burb is 43:42 2x4, and the K2500 PCM unkonwn ratio of truck it came from ran like a stock tune that had something wrong with it power wise or many I just forgot how crappy stock GM tune is :)

All I wanted to do was to see if they would at least get a truck started and be able to learn the theft code Bill told me similar that due to the 40+ possible combination's of PCM it would be luck to get 2 truck PCMs to direct interchange and work like the should.

So basic answer is yes can be swapped but you'll probably have to do the ko/ko theft learn routine 30 minutes to do that, may or may not run rite, and ko/ko learn another 30 minutes again so it will work in the donor truck.

Call me tomorrow Kenny if you wanna discuss in/out of theft learn

Last edited:
Copied and Pasted from Nelson Performance, can be found lots of places on the net.

ATTENTION: Your vehicle may not start unless this procedure is performed.
GM introduced an anti-theft system in 1996 and newer vehicles.
In order for your vehicle to start, you must perform the passkey relearn procedure.
If your vehicle’s battery is low, it is recommended a battery charger be hooked up at this time. This Procedure will take approximately 20-30 minutes.

After your PCM is installed, please perform the following.
You may want to be outside your vehicle so shut the door, roll down the window.

PROCEDURE:

Insert key, attempt to start the vehicle and leave the key in the ON position.

In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off.

Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.

When the Security light goes OFF, turn the ignition to the OFF position.

Leave ignition OFF for 20 Seconds.

Attempt to start the vehicle again and leave the key in the ON position.

In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off.

Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.

Turn the ignition to the OFF position for 20 Seconds.

In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off. Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.

Once this entire procedure has been completed (three times) your vehicle will start on the fourth attempt.

Note: Some vehicles perform the relearn in a different sequence. You may notice your security light, battery light and abs light will alternate. Once the security light is left out of the sequence that is considered one step.

Repeat the procedure two more times and on the fourth time your vehicle will start. TD edit insert Should for Will start, most times is does, some times it never starts be sure to tell you programmer you had a theft deterrent truck when ordering they should know when they plug in the VIN I got one from BD once that would never learn the td code so I sen it back also if you screw up the on & off sequence you may have to start all over again

Last edited by a moderator:
Copied and Pasted from Nelson Performance, can be found lots of places on the net.

ATTENTION: Your vehicle may not start unless this procedure is performed.
GM introduced an anti-theft system in 1996 and newer vehicles.
In order for your vehicle to start, you must perform the passkey relearn procedure.
If your vehicle’s battery is low, it is recommended a battery charger be hooked up at this time. This Procedure will take approximately 20-30 minutes.

After your PCM is installed, please perform the following.
You may want to be outside your vehicle so shut the door, roll down the window.

PROCEDURE:

Insert key, attempt to start the vehicle and leave the key in the ON position.

When the Security light goes OFF, turn the ignition to the OFF position.

Leave ignition OFF for 20 Seconds.

Turn the ignition to the OFF position for 20 Seconds.

In some vehicles, the Battery and Security light will blink for several seconds, and then shut off. Then the Security light will then remain ON. Leave the ignition ON until the Security light goes OFF. This will take more than 5 mins.

Once this entire procedure has been completed (three times) your vehicle will start on the fourth attempt.

Note: Some vehicles perform the relearn in a different sequence. You may notice your security light, battery light and abs light will alternate. Once the security light is left out of the sequence that is considered one step.

Repeat the procedure two more times and on the fourth time your vehicle will start. TD edit insert Should for Will start, most times is does, some times it never starts be sure to tell you programmer you had a theft deterrent truck when ordering they should know when they plug in the VIN I got one from BD once that would never learn the td code so I sen it back also if you screw up the on & off sequence you may have to start all over again

I just did this a couple weeks back using instructions from Heath that came with the new ECM. His instructions say to bump the starter and hold the ignition on until the security light turns off (does not take 5 mins, more like 10 seconds), then turn off for 1 minute. Repeat 2 more times.

I did this procedure mulitple times. Truck runs great, but the security light remains on.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do the full 30 minute routine the security light should stay off, if you know someone with a GM T2 it's a commanded function or maybe autoengunuity it may be also a commanded function theft learn. Sometimes the security lite never comes on as was the case of the 2 I did the other night, but they would not start my truck until I did the learn.

The procedure above from Nelson is slightly different from the GM manual & which works if a PCM is able to do a td learn the GM procedure is one I've had the most success with.

Last edited:
What is that 'typewriter' clicking noise during the warm up smoke show? White smoke would be retarded timing as well as high boost and high egt's. Single cylinder not firing gives me puffs after startup. So it acts like all the cylinders with the steady smoke. Have you inspected the timing chain on this one?

Maybe you got one good injector (or popping high) and the rest are (bad) low pop injectors?

Not sure on the clickin. maybe just poor sond quality ?? Motor is noisy for sure. I suspect I am going to be yanking the IP and Injs for a bench test come spring.

What is that 'typewriter' clicking noise during the warm up smoke show? White smoke would be retarded timing as well as high boost and high egt's. Single cylinder not firing gives me puffs after startup. So it acts like all the cylinders with the steady smoke. Have you inspected the timing chain on this one?

Maybe you got one good injector (or popping high) and the rest are (bad) low pop injectors?

Thats not how my lose timing chain sounds, Its a scary sound but the truck still runs, for now lol.

It sure does seem like it's timing related. With a smoke show like that (looks like one of my 18:1 cold starts) -and the fact that the EGT's are through the roof, -coupled with lots of turbine drive pressure (making lots of boost during low fuel rates), it sure makes one wonder if the timing stepper motor is behaving the way it's supposed to.

Fooling the ECM with the ECT trick and forcing the stepper to full advance may reveal something..

On the other hand, -it sure sounds plenty "marbly" while idling when you did your cold start, -so it sounds like she's getting some advance timing...

:???:

Having some scanner timing values would tell you if the program is advanced a lot and if cold advance brings it to some extreme. And if the fuel rates are real low it could explain the dumping of fuel, as it goes back and forth from like 0 to 2mm3 cutting and dumping fuel to maintain idle rpm. The fuel rates being low would not be from the programming, unless they accidentally did something, which they can, but more likely an IP OS calibration thing a rebuilder doesnt pay attention to.

Well I plugged it in this am and then started it when I got home. It smoked a little for about 3-5 sec and then was fine. Nothing like before. But it can't be glows cause even if not plugged in with all the smoke, the truck still starts very easily.

It's just a wild eyed guess you read on the internet, but I think you're too far advanced. I'm going to take mine down a bit, rattles like a mother!

Back