• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Raptor pump? Max fuel pressure question

Veg_Out

Walking J Designs
Reaction score
Friends,

Many of you know I am one of our resident VEG-HEADS. Running veggie systems requires a little more meaty lift pump, or they either burn up (Mallory) or wear out the vanes. (Walbro)

I am considering placing a raptor pump, 3 inches from the IP, and will run both veggie and diesel through this thing.

What would you consider the maximum fuel pressure you would want to run?

On the photo, you can see my Walbro FRB-5 mounted to the plate I built for the valves etc. I will replace it with the RAPTOR. Has anyone used a RAPTOR? It didn't turn up in the search.

Thanks.

Attachments

• veggie.jpg
    veggie.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 34
Friends,

Many of you know I am one of our resident VEG-HEADS. Running veggie systems requires a little more meaty lift pump, or they either burn up (Mallory) or wear out the vanes. (Walbro)

I am considering placing a raptor pump, 3 inches from the IP, and will run both veggie and diesel through this thing.

What would you consider the maximum fuel pressure you would want to run?

On the photo, you can see my Walbro FRB-5 mounted to the plate I built for the valves etc. I will replace it with the RAPTOR. Has anyone used a RAPTOR? It didn't turn up in the search.

Thanks.

Aren't you supposed to preheat the v/o so it's a little more viscous ??, never seen mention of the Raptor, is it flow thru on fail ?? IIRC 15 psi is max psi I recall recommended for IP, don't know the why, what you are after is max gph not necessarily max psi, you have a FTB mod or stock filter mgr & IP inlet fittings?

Last edited:
I am a firm believer in "feeding the beast."

Not shown in the photograph is the 20 plate heat exchanger and "tube in hose" back and forth to the veggie tank.

Thanks for the pressure recommendation.

You are killing a frb-5 ???, those are reasonably stout pumps, is there some transition when v/o is too cold, worthwhile to run a Racor type filter with heating element in it temp switch controlled prior to lift pump, until plate exchanger is up to temp?

It's true, the Walbro pumps have a reputation with the Veggie community of going bad, it's either that first 30 seconds of trying to pump cold applesauce like veggy through a filter, or the next 3 hours of scalding hot veggy right after.

Lots of guys running the FASS pumps for veggy on 6.5's. It's so expensive however, that's why I'm considering the Raptor.

My system is fully up to temperature before the pump kicks on via relay from the Frybrid computer. However, the pump isn't heated, so there will always be a cold slug of Veggy during winter within the pump. Mine, being mounted on the intake is likely to melt out a bit, just from underhood temps while the motor is warming up to operating temp.

Also, the Raptor pump can be had in either 100 GPH or 150 GPH. Adjustable pressure too. www.pureflowtechnologies.com

I have been running a Walbro 6065 for over 50k miles without any problems. I even put one inplace of the diesel lift pump. Puts out 6-7 psi at the water drain.

Veg Out, That is a lot of flow, possibly too much for IP to manage the return, possibly a recirc loop required back to suction side of pump or return direct to tank, but that much return may foam the tank also.

Your frybird start & stop on Diesel ??, maybe have a 2nd lift from Diesel tank feed the veggie pump suction also at start up until vo is thinso 1st power on id blend of vo & Diesel, I've not looked close at frybirds so my apology if what I say doesn't make sense to you.

maybe have a 2nd lift from Diesel tank feed the veggie pump suction also at start up until vo is thinso 1st power on id blend of vo & Diesel, I've not looked close at frybirds so my apology if what I say doesn't make sense to you.

That got me to thinkin. You could put a 3-way vavle on the suction side of the WVO pump. One line to WVO and other to diesel. When you purge the valve cycles and sucks diesel so the next time around it will have diesel in the WVO pump.
My pump is the only thing not heated so on a cool day I have to wait longer for the WVO to thin enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
I run the return for veggie, right back into the suction side of the pump. Frybrid's "controlled loop."

Frybrid recommends now, placing the fuel pump last in line, having both diesel and veggie pumping through it. It sits right after the feed valve. My only issue it that it isn't suck through, so if the pump dies, so does my Burb.

Back