• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Radio not turning off when door opens

trotorx2

Reaction score
Started this week when I shut off the truck and open the door the radio isn't turning off. Any ideas whats wrong and where do I start looking to fix this? :???:

Are your courtesy lights turning off? I think it's the same subsystem.

If they aren't, then you have probably got a bad door switch or a stuck relay.

Are you asking if I leave the door open with the radio on will they turn off? I haven't tried that or opening any other doors to see if the radio turns off. I know when I shut the door the lights turn off after the delay.

Nope, asking if they turn on when the door opens - sounds like they do. Might not be a bad idea to see if the radio shuts off when a different door is opened, though. Rules out something...

This afternoon the radio stayed on when I opened the door so I reached over to open the passenger door and as soon as I opened the door the radio turned off. Tonight the radio worked like it should. So is there a switch inside the door tied to the inside handle? Hope there is or maybe a relay somewhere?

Should be the push-switches in your door post, I think. If it worked with the passenger door, it wouldn't be a relay.

If it's working like it should, the problem was probably in the other door, and it fixed itself when you opened it. If your door works fine now, forget about fixing things. :D

Face it... the truck is haunted and it just wanted some attention!

Most late model GM's that I have seen have 2 door switches, so that may very well be your problem. The BCM controls your radio as to when it turns off and on, and I believe there is a seperate switch fro teh interior light so as to be able to turn the light on without the BCM waking up. Not 100% certain though as to there being 2 switches. Also I know in my wifes car that opening the passenger door will not turn the radio off, only opening the drivers door will. It's wierd though that the windows will stop working if any door is opened, but the drivers must open to shut the radio off.

Ok...a little more intell. I noticed the black switch/lever under the extended cab door handle yesterday. I worked that lever several times then shut the door and opened it back up and the radio shut off. I'm guessing this is the switch I need to look at. Going to get some contact cleaner and clean that switch.

Back