• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Radiator Screen Ideas and Solutions

I have used AC coil cleaner. Its similar to how scrubbing bubbles work. As in the AC coil cleaner "grows" and foams. The lifting action helps lift out dirt and get under bugs etc. Its a "Chelating" action I think. I believe it helps with dirt and bugs not necessarily a degreaser type cleaner.

You can get that spray at HD or Lowes. It used to be near where they sell the AC covers for Winter. It works OK and used to use it when I first got this truck 10ish years ago. I stopped using it when I started to take the cooling stack apart. It should work better on your screen as you can use some mechanical means to get bugs that splatted at speed. My compliments to you for trying this project, as this has crossed my mind more than once. I had cooling issues on the last engine and abandoned anything that might get this one hot.

I did the window screen just like you did several years ago. I was able to find black metal screen so it blends in a little better.

Just like you I spent a day cleaning the radiator/coolers and AC. After that fun filled day I said no more and installed a screen. They only thing I can tell you is it works for me, I hardly ever pull anything and most of my driving is interstate at full speed limit.

I have noticed if the cottonwood trees are blooming it is advisable to check the screen once in a while (oil change intervals is a good time) as it will build a cotton matte on the screen. If the bugs are really heavy it will get nasty, just take a garden hose and wash it off, way easier than extensive coil cleaning.

AC blows cold, temps are very stable and no issues for me.

Brian

Cool, I was wondering how long to plug it up. Thanks for letting us know.

I think that's in my future. While you guys can get a great radiator from Leroy for 7 bills or so, mine is $1700. I really don't want to take chances on damaging mine.

Back