• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

raced my truck...

The definition of ran and pulled fine can be relative. With a stock program it might not be as noticeable. There is definately a 0-60 performance difference when you have 5+ psi all the time to the IP, than if it goes to vacuum under acceleration.

truck died on me yesterday. thought I was out of fuel, coasted into a gas station but didnt make the pumps. got it refired and filled it up, but it didn't take as much as I thought it should if it was out, plus in the past when I run out Im done, no restarting it. So I think it was something else, like pmd. It has given me a few little "shivers", not quite a stumble, for the last week. Also concerned I might have a problem with pmd harness. did it myself, and one wire under the intake failed so i had to splice into the harness behind the ffm, those wires are all hand soldered and old. I worry about them, but not sure if they're ok.

Still no progress with the fuel pressure, some days are better than others, but even with strong fuel pressure I'm not feeling the power I think it has, and don't have much topend power at all. In fact holding it open on the highway the other day I got a real bad stumble, really falling on its face at wot, had to let off to keep it running.

Starting to get really frustrated with this thing. Every time I look at all it's done for me, I love the truck. And when I think about all the nice mods I've done, the list is a mile long. I don't want to start over with a new truck. But then when Ilook at the problems it has, I get seriously down on it. Needs to be running right, needs more power, and needs bodywork and paint. Plus I think a steering box, maybe a ps pump or hydroboost. Cant even sell it until I get a new crossmember and have it inspected to get a new title.
Some days I think about parting it out, if I had the money to buy another one or maybe a 6.5 Sub, but without selling it I have no money to buy another truck. If I could get the body guy who's supposed to be doing my crewcab to get moving, I still might park the diesel except for chores, and start driving the 454.
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh. I don't know what to do. If things get much worse I'm going to change my name to Acesneights.

Might not be related but running out of fuel and cranking is really bad on these IPs. Could be a PMD, but more likely as you suspected as a fuel issue, like air in the fuel. It may be a hairline crack in the pickup inside the tank, like some of the other guys had mentioned.

going back, right before it died I had just gone up a really steep, short hill. but I forgot because it didnt die right on the hill. I think with an 1/8 tank the hill caused the little bit of fuel to drain to the back, tube sucked air, and it just took a minute to use up the fuel in the filter. Thats why I was able to get it restarted on flat ground.

Been there done that, but now I dont let it get down to the red part of the fuel gauge. After I learned first hand that cranking air into the IP will kill it. Granted I did it like 10 times in a row.

:suicide:
It's appealing isnt it ??
Now...Do what I TOLD YOU. Set up a 5 gal can of diesel in the back of the truck and run a line DIRECTLY to the LP and check FP. You could be sucking air somewhere and never find it. Trust me, I own nothing but rusty shitboxes.

:suicide:
It's appealing isnt it ??
Now...Do what I TOLD YOU. Set up a 5 gal can of diesel in the back of the truck and run a line DIRECTLY to the LP and check FP. You could be sucking air somewhere and never find it. Trust me, I own nothing but rusty shitboxes.
OK, Kenny, that's my next plan of attack. As soon as I save up enough money to buy some line and 5 gallons of diesel. Had kind of an expensive weekend.

Too bad your not closer. I have the stuff to do it made up already. Once you do that if FP is still weak tee in your gauge pre FFM. Not likely there would be a problem between the LP and FFM but possible. I'd probably start looking at the Lp at that point. You don't seem to be the only one having issues with these Walbros.

Its no coincidence the fuel pressure is no better or no worse, you have a problem other than the LP it seems. Kenny has the right test to try to determine if it is sending unit related without dropping tank again

I looked up the Walbro you guys talk about, At least I think it is the model. The picture of it showed a round screen about 2 inches? in diameter and having an option of using a coarser or finer screen version. Maybe I was looking at a different version pump. Got the model number from one of the posts. FRB-5?

so since i was here last the truck has died on me twice more. the fuel is low in the tank, the truck shuts off but will refire after about 10 minutes of swearing at it. Figured out the ffm was more than half empty, so it seems that it absolutely must be sucking air, right? When it restarts I can go for miles, so it isn't really out of fuel. I swapped the good pmd with a brand new spare dipaco (with no resistor), but I really dont think thats it. It's fuel-related.

However..I noticed that my fuel pressure gauge needle is no longer bouncing like it has since I put the walbro in. I'm assuming the bouncing is because it's a different kind of pump from a stock lp, anyway, now theres no bouncing which I think means the walbro quit. Maybe just a bad ground or something. I have good fuel pressure most of the time, so I think the IP is pulling the fuel. I also figured out the dying happens shortly after a WOT pull, merging on the highway or whatever. SO. It appears that the walbro is laying down o nthe job, the IP is pulling the fuel, but a WOT burst drains the FFM and I run out of fuel somehow. Burning more than the IP can pull by itself, maybe. So I'm still not sure where it's getting the air in.

Today I am going to try and get all the new lines rechecked at clamps, check walbro for power and then put a line from a gas can in the bed down to the inlet of the walbro.

Hope this fixes the problem. I'm getting really discouraged with the truck, because it seems a lot of other things are falling apart at the same time. Need to go all through the front end, I think I need a new steering box and either a ps pump or a hydroboost. The truck is just turning into a real pos lately. You know the feeling, when you start to wonder if it's worth it, or if you're throwing good money after bad?

When I run out of fuel or have OOF symptoms my fuelgauge stays Steady wherever it was at. I would think that running out of fuel would show ZERO fuel pressure, but it doesn't. Perhaps it is still pressurizing air, I'm not sure. But mine steadies out also.

BTW Dan, don't get discouraged with your truck, we have been telling you that you have some sort of fuel delivery problem for months now. Its not going to get better on its own. The cold weather will make this worse as the fuel thickens). Of course Africa hot next week again. :) Stick with it brother... Don't get discouraged.

And I know the feeling... Thats why it seems important to do the little things as they happen instead of putting it off, then all of a sudden a bunch of little things adds up. Usually a few bux and a Saturday will knock most of them done. Still a hell of a lot cheaper than a payment.

well, I just started on my Kenny project, was going to run a length of fuel line from a can in the bed up to the lp. Parts store only has high pressure fueli injection line for $7 a foot, so I changed my mind. Racked my brains going over the symptoms (it really helps to write them out on here) and decided I want to replace the external tank-to-LP line anyway, and the problem is probably in the sending unit anyway, since it appears to be mostly when the tank is real low. So I ordered a new sending unit, can't get it til tomorrow so I'm going to drop the tank and change the sending unit and line all at once. Then it will be new from the tip of the sock all the way up to the inlet of the injector pump.
Matt, I noticed the same thing when the truck stalls the gauge still reads 3 lbs. Today I ran it for a couple minutes, had zero fuel pressure. Think it was just running off what was in the IP. Ran rough then died. LP was pulsing but didnt feel right, kind of uneven, and wasnt bouncing the needle. So that has to be sucking air. I bet if I filled the tank I could drive it, but I'm dropping the tank tomorrow so no sense in adding fuel now.

I would have gone to tractor supply or home dept for the clear tubing. That stuff is cheap. If you bough an aftermarket sending unit...TRUST ME... use a very small zip tie to hold the float rod to the sending unit. The little plastic snap in clip on the aftermarket ones SUCKS and the float , rod and all, will fall off. IN my Dually thread I believe I posted pics of this.

Back