• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

raced my truck...

Buddy, when I change the ecm does anything need to be done with the boost fooler? Should I take it out or can I just forget about it?

FTB is on it's way, along with new tune from Kojo and Veg out.

Pull out the fooler if you are getting a tune....

Run the truck again, I am sure you will be in the 17's.....16's may be out of reach...

yeah, I remember how much you had into yours to get there, and that was a lot lighter truck with reasonable tires. I don't really want a race truck anyway, just want it to be fun to drive and a little better at the things it's not so good at.

Just went back and looked at the first post by the OP, I thought it was 17 not 19. Now I don't feel so bad.

You have the time slip? I'd like to see the numbers....

I cant figure out this scanner, but I will try to copy them over here.

Run#1...............................Run#2

r/t..... - .463...................-.223
60'.... - 2.771..................-2.896
330... - 7.927..................-8.247
1/8.... - 12.271.................-12.739
mph... - 56.17...................-54.28
1000.. - 16.149.................-16.693
1/4.... - 19.734.................-20.093
mph... - 61.71...................-65.97

So as I read it, the first one WOT was better on every count except final trap speed. Which tells me the second run, it was able to shift at the end and gained a bit of speed in the last few feet. First run gained only about 5 mph from halfway point to finish, whereas second run put on about 12 mph. If everything was working right, it should have been able to add significantly more speed in the second half of the run, and it would have brought the elapsed time down a lot I think.

12.7 in the 1/8th with a 6.5 isn't bad and it being a heavy dually at that. Last year a few V6 cars was doing good to get into the 11's in the 1/8th.

Dan, KOJO's tune will make a huge difference. You are definitely defueling.

As far as the leaky fuel leak, I just patched my return line, it was all rotted out by one of the brackets.

5/16 ID Diesel rated fuel hose, 2 hose clamps on each side, slid it over cut plumbing 1" or so, no flares. No leaks.

I'd be willing to bet the feed line would hold 10psi non flared double hose clamped.

Flaring sounds like a good idea, until your under there with no room to work, not to mention get the flare tool going...

I just did that with a line on the other side of the lift pump. Now the engine side of the lift pump is going away. Thats what I want to try, I'm not interested in chasing down dealer-only crimped specialty lines.

I bought all new lines from the dealer a while back when I did my sending unit. I pulled the bed and changed all the lines up to the motor. Dealer had all but 1 in stock and had the other one the next day.
I should have done the increased lines while i had it apart.

Just replace everything from the LP to the IP. The stock LPs all fail over time, next time pressure starts dropping or you notice fishbiting under load, it would be good to get a higher pressure/volume aftermarket pump.

With a proper PCM program the truck will run like night is to day when compared to the stock PCM.

I'm gonna have to make my way up to NED with my burban sometime this summer. They dont like black smoke tho?? Thats odd, not like mine pours smoke anyhow.

I've seen them make guys put a temp stack on, but they said nothing to me. I've got some smoke, not like the Black Stallion or anything, but I thought they'd sqauwk. If yours isn't excessive I guess I wouldn't worry. I want to hear your truck with the 4 inch Diamondeye straight. I wanted to leave my muffler off but didn't dare.

If you havent seen the Black Stallion, check it out on Youtube. It's a seriously bada** Western Star. In one clip he pulls about 50 ton of logs up a hill as fast as my truck could get up there empty.

OK, I'm back with an update. And I am seriously disenchanted with my truck right now. I simply cannot figure out what the $(&*# is going on! I have the Walbro in, and FTB, not to mention the KOJO tune and vssb that I did right after my first dragway debacle. My fuel pressure gauge is still only running 3-4 lbs, slightly more at idle, but under WOT it drops to zero. Nothing I do changes it. I have repeatedly blown out the lines, blew a lot of air into the tank tonight hoping it would blow the sock right off. The other day I had the FFM out and tried to flush and clean it the best I could, it looks fine. After cleaning the FFM and flushing the line to the tank with air, my testdrive felt awesome. Seriously kicking a**. I couldn't wait to get it to the dragway. Ran the balls for a couple of days, but then today it was back to weak pressure, less black smoke and a lot less seat of the pants feel. I knew it wasn't going as good, but since it's no longer breaking up I figured there'd have to be some improvement, right? Right? Nope. Big fat nothing.

Ran it three times, felt ok, no sputtering or breaking up, but didn't feel very fast up top. And it wasn't, I ran the same times as I did with stock tune and fuel starvation problem. Slightly faster top speed but not any better ET. WTF? I think but I'm not sure that the other couple days when it felt so racy that I had a little fuel pressure left under WOT, but not much. Boost is fine, topping out at about 11-12. But I know somethings wrong because I am not pushing as much black smoke as I did the other night. No SES light but am I maybe in limp mode or something?
1st run was in OD, after the halfway point it seemed like it was hunting a little, maybe going in and out of OD. So 2nd run I put it in D (3rd) hoping it would stay out of OD, felt a little different but I could feel a definite hunting, or variance in the rpms anyway. 3rd run I think I left it in 4th again.
My KOJO tune really woke the truck up, but it is not awake right now. Feels fine, not like it's really running poorly, but it definitely doesn't have what it had on the test drive the other night. A few romps around town watching the black smoke rolling like never before. Also, it sounded quieter the other night after messing with the lines and ffm. Tonight when I was leaving I thought it sounded louder, that clattering diesel racket.. I've gotta have air in the system or something. Maybe blowing out the line tonight got air hung up somewhere and it didn't have time to work through. Only about 5 mile drive, but between revving and waiting at lights I thought it was all out.

On a positive note, I found out that my truck will actually do a brakestand in the burnout pit. Nothing like tire smoke off of four big tires mixing with diesel smoke. Crowd liked it anyway.

Have you tried leaving the fuel cap off? Maybe there is too much vacuum in the tank.

did you disconnect both ends of the line from LP to FFM and blow/flush it out?

Tank sock could be the culprit if none of this other stuff helps.

the line from lp to ffm is new. after 2nd run I opened the cap while listening for rush of air, nothing, no noticeable pressure.
Even if tank sock is the problem, where is my KOJO tune and FTB? That should be accounting for something, and just the fact that the engine wasn't stumbling and bucking and cutting out should have given me some better ETs.

I would drop the tank, either some crap is floating around in there or the pickup has a crack or hole.

Does it make any dif with a full tank or less?

Different feeling with full tank versus 1/2 tank or less?

To be honest, I have never dropped a 6.5 tank, but I did drop of a couple of tanks out of my 90's era gasser half tons that had holes in the 'dip tube' of the sending unit that was causing low fuel pressure. Low pressure + TBI = bad things......

I guess the real answer is to drop your tank and take a look...

Back