• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

R.i.p. vac pump

Boost is a function of heat and exhaust speed
So more throttle equals more heat and as the engine speeds up more exhaust velocity. You'll have the most boost loaded heavy with the engine rpm up

So in other words I control boost by how much I push the throttle... I was assuming I set that bolt to where they gauge gets to 10 or 12 lb and then wastegate blows open.. which if I understand right that means the Gage would drop..

So as long as it doesn't go above 12 on the gauge before it drops I'm okay..... Now hopefully this is my last dumb question of the day.. should I drill a hole right in the middle of the plenum or on the tube that goes to the turbo..

I'm pulling the plenum.. when I took that bolt out there's a whole lot of oil on it....

Attachments

• 1560009953866657258229.jpg
    1560009953866657258229.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 1560009973586863891023.jpg
    1560009973586863891023.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 2
That’s the same boost gauge that I use for boost and fuel pressure. I know it’s to late now for you @Stoney but if anyone who sees this thread and doesn’t know, Leroy Diesel sells a boost bolt that replaces a plenum bolt and the tubing from the boost gauge hooks on top of the bolt.

I had my boost set to 15 and blew a head gasket so now it’s set to about 10. Sometimes it’ll go to 12 when I’m hauling the tractor around.

That’s the same boost gauge that I use for boost and fuel pressure. I know it’s to late now for you @Stoney but if anyone who sees this thread and doesn’t know, Leroy Diesel sells a boost bolt that replaces a plenum bolt and the tubing from the boost gauge hooks on top of the bolt.

I had my boost set to 15 and blew a head gasket so now it’s set to about 10. Sometimes it’ll go to 12 when I’m hauling the tractor around.

I forgot to say that I used studs when I put it back together but I’m not going to run much higher than 12 because from what I understand much higher than that with a gm turbo all your adding is heat

There is no solid number for boost you can run, there are alot of variables. Obviously the lower you keep it the less chance you'll have of popping a head gasket. IMO one of the biggest factors is how hot you let the engine run followed by a free flowing exhaust and turbo. Even doing everything right it won't totally eliminate the possibility

I agree with that AK. To many variables and driving styles to know the magic number.

I still have the stock exhaust on mine and no tune. Pretty much everything is stock except for the head studs. One of these days I hope to be able to afford to start upgrading some stuff.

Ok so I learned a couple important lessons yesterday..1) guy at hardware store don't know squat about thread size...(he gave us the wrong thread tap.) Didn't figure that out till we tried to put the fitting in the plenum and it wouldn't thread in right..so off to the junk yard to find a plenum..4 junk yards later I got one..(actually found a bunch of 6.5s there) never heard of the place before...anyhow. Got the plenum but left my phone there..so just left there with my phone ....thank God there a mom and pop place and live close to the yard or I would have been phone less till Monday..lol ..
round two.. let's try this again.

Success!! It works!! ( i Think). Got a little oil came out from around threads at first but seems to have stopped..I've only had it up to 9 on the guage do far and it didn't blow open...gonna run her up a steep hill and try...can set boost level if can't get her up to that level...BTW..any suggestions on vac lines?..the one that came with it seems pretty flimsy so I don't expect it to last very long.

For the line to boost gauge, I use copper line- 1/8”. Sleeve it with fuel line or some other hose to keep it from rubbing through because it is so soft.

Back