• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

R.i.p. vac pump

Stoney

Reaction score
Noticed waste gate arm was only half up..hmm..checked lines ..looked good..checked actuator... With hose off pulled the lever up, plug up the hole.. tried pushing down lever, it wouldn't move so it's good..right??....bypassed solinoid by pulling both hoses and connecting them together.. from what I understand that should make the lever pull up tight if the solenoid is just bad.. sometimes pulls up tight , sometimes doesn't.. moving hoses around doesn't make a difference.. and when I put my finger on the hose coming off the pump doesn't really feel like it has squat for suction. And what little suction it does have is intermittent.. so think I'm going to do a vacuum pump delete.. and just build a manual wastegate.. saw a couple good ones on some threads on here some guys built... Just put a lot of expensive parts into it lately so 150 bucks for a spool stick is kind of out of the question right now.... But if any of y'all have any advice please point me in the right directions

Appreciate the offer... After buying all those other parts from AutoZone I got a bunch of points built up... That's why I was asking if it mattered what kind of gauge it is... If it doesn't I'll just buy one with the points... If it does then I would gladly take you up on your offer lol.. right now I'm just trying to figure out what all I need to do... If I delete the pump then I got to get the 99 inch serpentine belt correct?? Now what do I do about the solenoid.. can I just unplug it and take it out or do I leave it in and capping off?

Boost gauges are pretty much the same just the scale maybe different. Ideally you want a gauge that reads a Max of about 15psi. Higher reading ones will work it's just harder to read it with accuracy. Leave the solenoid in place and you'll want a belt that is one inch shorter than what you have. 99 sounds right but it's been too long since I have done this

Ok thanks...and just cap off the nipples on the solinoid right..this is a dumb question what is the solenoid doing if I'm taking both vacuum hoses off of it..?

Awesome thank you.. now off to the hardware store LOL time for redneck engineering

Would have really been nice if somebody would have told me that you don't just use the factory screw in things that come with the gauge and screw them into your intake..

So I got the manual waste gate rigged up the best I can for now..paying a guy tomorrow to drill and tap my plenum tube so I can get the gauge hooked up..( that's costing more than the spool stick would have) but gotta have truck for tree job tomorrow afternoon so it is what it is...
So next question..how do I adjust this thing..( I know I tighten the nut to make spring tighter) but how do I know when it's set right.. and how do I know what spring is correct... I got a couple different sizes of compression springs.. honestly not sure which one to use..I would love to say what's the worst that can happen but kind of afraid to find out..lol

I guess I didn't ask that right... When I do X with the accelerator.. what do I want to see the needle on the boost gauge do?...

I didn't have a boost guage before remember..lol.. I'm actually leaving the house right now to go get my plenum drilled and threaded so I can put the fitting in that the boost gauge hooks to

Back