• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

quick hitch question

red

Being a lake bum in Texas
Reaction score
with a travel trailer that hangs over a 5th wheel or goosneck hitch, how far away from the cab of the truck does the hitch need to be? 3ft? 4ft?

In order to be able to turn to at least 90 degrees the distance from the hitch to the back of the cab would need to be greater than the distance from the hitch pin to the front corner of the trailer. Trailers obviously vary quite a bit, so there is not really a set dimension. Typically gooseneck hitches are located a few inches forward of the center of the truck rear axle. My B+W turnover ball hitch is about four inches forward of the axle. My gooseneck trailer has a tapered front end, so I can get away with a shortbox truck.

Using a 1X4 (1X2, 1X3, etc), set it so that it pivots from the trailers hitch and swing it 180* from the left side of the trailer to the right side of the trailer. Use a sharpie marker, or ?, and mark the point where the trailer protrudes the farthest out on the stick, then measure that distance and add a few inches for clearance. This will be your beginning point of measurement needed for clearance from the cab of your truck.

Don

I lost the instructions that came with my Putnam "Lock & Load GN" alas Putnam out of business now I really like this hitch similar but improvement over the B&W turnover hitch, as the ball is spring loaded & stored until needed remove the weather proof cover pill latch and up pops the ball and locks in raised position. Anyway it mounted just fwd of the rear axle so both axles are carrying the weight to some degree vs all direct on the rear.

Looking for the old instructions on the web I found this possibly useful to you http://www.ehow.com/how_8003466_gooseneck-hitch-installation-instructions.html

Looks like possibly the old Lock & Load I have is now called the Pop Up hitch http://www.eaccessoriesunlimited.com/pop_up_gooseneck_hitch

Back