• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Question for you all.

Blue

Reaction score
I am new to diesel world.
I have a 1994 k3500 regular cab 6.5TD rust free perfect interior, but has significant blow by. It has over 200,000 miles or more. (Odometer was froze when I purchased it) everything is very stock. I have been doing a lot of research and from what I read It needs to be rebuilt. I would like to make it reliable and last until the body and chassis rust out. So my question is should I do it or just cut my losses and look for a gasser? I have about $5000 into truck including pmd relocation, pitman and idler arm replacement. I really want to upgrade cooling system, and exhaust. But I am worried if I put all the money and time into it with out addressing the blow by factor it would all be for not. I appreciate your thoughts and some guidance on what I should do.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yeah a video is the best way to tell. How long does it take you to go through 1 qt of oil? How long before it rusts out in your area?

You mention outing it for a gasser, are you hating the diesel aspect (it's not for everyone), or if you run this for a few years would you think about replacing it with another 6.5? I ask because if you don't like it at all, then only do what you have to and do it on the cheap. But If you would get another one later, a bunch of the parts could be reused on another truck when this one bites it lowering long term costs.

Ok I will post a video soon. Actually I love the truck. I am hooked on the workings of a diesel. I am not going through that much oil. It will take probably 10 years for the rust to be a major issue. If I decide to rebuild, I will do what I can to stop it from rusting out. It will be the first thing I do after getting the engine up to par. I don't see a lot of these trucks in my area, which is cool, but hard to find other enthusiasts that know these engines. Doesn't even think local mechanics know. I had an issue with coolant coming out of resivior at extended high Rpms, ( highway driving). They all said that it is a head gasket issue, which it maybe, but it doesn't do it anymore after I bled some air out of the system. Information of which I found here on the forum. I have relocated pmd, shops said I needed a new ip. Saved majors costs with figuring it out on my own. Again from info on this forum. So with that said, I have enjoyed the research and fixing side of truck. Just wanting some options, because no has one locally. whether I should bite down and start the rebuild process, or just milk it until she dies. I'll post a pick soon,.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nice looking truck! Looks clean and rust free! 6.5s are an unknown diesel. Went to look at a truck for sale one time and the owner was telling me it was based on a 383 gasser! I did not even argue... Looks to be alot of blowby but she sounds good at idle. I would run her until you can save up enough to go through her. Even better I would to get a newer optimizer block and have it ready to go. Then just transfer any parts have put on the current 6.5. The usual upgrades like exhaust, intake will help any 6.5 live longer. Coolant mods are also a good idea especially if you are going to tow heavy or push the limits performance wise. Would recommend gauges and a better turbo as money and time allow.

Thanks. Where is a good place to get a quality optimizer block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. Where is a good place to get a quality optimizer block?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe you can buy just a block, but Leroy sells the complete new optimizer engines, and I'm sure he would be the best price around. Ted's sells the used surplus engines on ebay.

Matt

I did the Teds swap and am completely happy with it. There is another surplus place out west, but cannot think of name. Shipping was the deciding factor. If I ever get healthy enough, I will drive the truck more.

That truck's a keeper. The lighter blue is the same as my '93 K3500 reg cab. Looks to be solid. Let me know when you are done with it!

.....and the new P400 was $6950 iirc?

Thanks for the referals.

I have this one for sale now http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?43195-506-AMG-GEP-long-block-4950
Its a Teds engine That Ive gone through. I can also get them brand new for about a thousand more.

Then there is the P400 for $6950.
Yes.

The long block Im selling is very low miles and lots of upgrages that you won't get from a Teds engine or brand new AMG long block. Also save $1000 over new.
Im selling another P400 this week and would really like to add another to the list for my truck, so would really like to sell mine if anyone needs one. If not I'll keep it for another project.

If you are not going through much oil, I would just keep running it. Start putting money away for a new engine, or if you have the cash, put it away until you need it. You may go for years or a couple hundred thousand miles with blow by if you do not seem to have power issues or abnormally high oil consumption. How's your Tuna can?

Back