• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Question About 6.5TD Power

dur0maxx

Is Blowin Soot On A Prius
Reaction score
This is my first diesel, I have driven a 95 3500 TD before at a place I worked at and it had no power but was told it was because it blew a head gasket and was never the same again(they judged that by telling me how they used to race it against the F350 PowerJoke they also had and it would murder it, then afterwards it was the other way around). I have no way of judging the power output of these motors but mine seems to not be right.
Under normal driving the truck it fine, plenty of power. If I get on it a little, it still feels fine. But if I stand on it, it just doesn't seem to have the power it should.
I bought this truck and started looking over everything. A few weeks after driving it my SES light came on, the dreaded P0251 code appeared, I cleared it and it never came back. When it came time to change the fuel filter I found out my lift pump was bad. I could hear it pumping but it wouldn't fill the filter bowl back up. So I put in a 93 unit and that fixed that. I figured I would see some kind of performance gain from that but nope, It was still the same. I have since installed a TM and straight piped my exhaust.

I guess what i'm trying to get at is after a little past 1/2 throttle there really isn't that much difference in the way the truck acts. The truck feels like it won't even get out of it's own way. I have owned many really fast cars and my perception might be off but I really think there is something wrong somewhere. Just hoping someone here has maybe experianced the same thing or can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Do you have a chip or anything? It seems like guys who have them are more happy with there trucks..

Nope, no tune yet. I have been planning so I can get exhaust, injectors, and then the HP4. Until then I'm kinda stuck with this.

Stuck is the right word....

On my last truck (94 1500 6.5TD) I did all of the bolt on mods before installing a chip.

I ran a 19.1 in the 1/4 mile before the chip (but with 4" exhaust, FTB mod, TM, WTA IC). Once I installed the MaxETork 2.0 I ran a 17.1 - a whole 2 seconds faster. That is an eternity on the track.

You arnt showing any codes? I got my vac lines backwards one and the truck would defuel from too much boost, and then it acted DEAD after 1/2 throttle. Could your turbomaster be set too high?

I had it set at 7psi wot and I haven't thrown any codes. I guess I could hook up and see if there is anything stored.
The main reason I want the new program is because I hate the way this thing shifts. and the added power aint bad either :devil:

You don't have to talk yourself into the tune... You want it, get it :)

I want one eventually too, I only use the first inch of travel in my pedal. I BARELY touch it. Not sure if tune will help me the way I drive, might optimize shift points like you mentioned, ...

Air cleaner is clean I assume, perhaps you have crap in your tank sock that wont let enough fuel to come in? Drive with a fuel pressure gueage, or blow 2-3psi of air backwards into the fuel tank, damn, I should have done that yesterday when I installed my '93 Delco lift pump... Regardless I need a new tank anyhow, mine is rusted and leaks over 1/2.

Anyone have a good Tank source? PM me.

Last edited:
Oh, I want it!! I just cant afford it right now. What I hate the most is that I have EFILive and i can't use it. I sold the car i was using it for and now it is just collecting dust. I did tune my dads LBZ though. He enjoyed that, and that is one of the reasons i am holding on to it. I wish I could use it on the 6.5's, that would be sweet. Then I could do want I want instead of whatever someone gives me. I really like being able to set up the shifts the way I like them.

I have owned 2 6.5's and they act the same way. After about halph throttle the truck really doesnt go any faster :confused5:

How many miles are on yours? Have you ever looked at the turbo? Mine was worn out and needed overhauled. I replaced it and it worked better. Thers was also a vacum leak once that wouldnt let the waste gate open the whole way. That gave it a big power decrease as well.

For the truck that didnt run right after the head gaskets went. These truck always had problems with the heads cracking when they overheated. My buddy had a 6.5 burban who overheated it and after he replaced the head gaskets it would never run right.

if you run em without gauges, boost systems working partially, dirty radiators, they will overheat, set up properly they run as strong/& stronger as unmodded 1st generation DMAX. By time fixes in place from GM to address overheat, and vendors dedicated to making 6.5s strong runners like Heath, Dmax was in works and a bigger payoff to GM for "new & better" or at least they could justify $50K per truck sales. 90% of guys with $50K Diesels don't need em, 2x/yr I need mine for short haul 18K pull, mine does it well.

Diesel fuel prices thanks to tree huggers & ULSD jacking up price of fuel makes owning a Diesel a liability to the wallet, venerable 6.2 & 6.5s set up properly will suffice for most needing Diesel grunt power and get better mpg than msot of the "new" DPF equipped offering from the "big three", savings of buying an old 6.2/6.5 vs DMAX sticker & interest will pay for a LOT of fuel.

Is 6.5 in same league as a modded Dmax nope, but plenty of power in them if set up right.

Duro you say after half throttle no more power, have you plumbed in a test gauge to the filter mgr drain and gone for road test, if your lift pump is weak your IP can't pull enough fuel on it's own to sustain WOT load, you need 1 psi minimum to sustain WOT acceleration, settling to 3-5 psi while cruising

I have full boost, brand new filter, brand new 93 model lift pump under 1k miles ago, straight piped exhaust. I think it might just be my perception. The last DD I drove was a 10sec camaro, the last diesel I drove was my dads LBZ D-Max that I uploaded about 100hp tune in.

It's probably fine, like I said I'm just not used to this truck yet. I'm gonna give heath a call about his HP4 program and see about getting that.

i'd almost suggest you take another 6.5 for a test drive from a dealer lot. gives ya something to compare yours to. i am more than happy with the power my truck has. i'd bet i can beat a stock truck with the camper on my truck. but it's been a few dollars to do that. read my sig. if it shows up. Ed

I had a new V6 mustang give me hell and that's what started this I think. People here just can't drive and they pissed me off. I floored it and they weren't even tryin all that hard. My wife was looking over at me like "that it?" and I said "yep" lol

I think an HP4 will fix this problem. It seems everyone is highly impressed with them.

No, the b**** cut me off so I was trying to get in front of her to blow some smoke in her window and then she cut me off again. Then we both hit a stop light and we were side by side. Then she turned off, maybe she got scared, IDK.

Hey,
Ed is right you may just want to drive another one. There is probably nothing wrong with yours. We are all 6.5 gurus here and like to boast when we can but the plain truth is the stock 6.5 is a dog. PLain and simple. A dmax, powerchoke, cummins will smoke it. I actually have the luxury of a sie by side because one of mine is modded to the hilt and the other bone stock. My Tahoe runs alike a raped ape now. it would and has dogged a stock cummins and a stock stroke and beat alot of gassers out of the whole. The heath tune is pretty good. I have his first generation v2 and have no plans to upgrade it. Very happy with the way it runs and the shift pattern is much better. Open the exhaust up, do a TM and put a Heath Chip in and it will be a totally differnt truck. Those are the three Mods that will give noticable power difference.
JMO

Back