• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Pyrometer and Boost Tap...LB7

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am installing a new set of guages in my '01 LB7, pyrometer and boost. Here are the issues:

- I currently have a pyrometer installed when I stalled my Banks Kit years ago. But the hole in the manifold is bigger than the new pyrometer needs. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could get reducer fittings to step this hole down. It looks like 1/2" NPT to I think 1/4" NPT.

- The boost tap is the other issue. There seems to be an issue with tapping the intake tube (don't know what it is yet) on the 2001 LB7, and I don't want to just T the waste gate hose. You guys have any ideas for the '01?

Thanks!

Auto meter should have the reducer. Mine came with one with the gauges I purchased. All it was, a brass fitting. You could probably get one at a local home improvement store. I could mail you one that my gauges came with if I could find one. you pay shipping. Let me know.

I used the boost bolt from leroy for my boost gauge. It is made for the 6.5 and would not work on your truck. I would drill and tap a spot that would be good for you on the boost.

Auto meter should have the reducer. Mine came with one with the gauges I purchased. All it was, a brass fitting. You could probably get one at a local home improvement store. I could mail you one that my gauges came with if I could find one. you pay shipping. Let me know.

I used the boost bolt from leroy for my boost gauge. It is made for the 6.5 and would not work on your truck. I would drill and tap a spot that would be good for you on the boost.
Thanks Marty I really apprecaite that offer! I would like to look for a stainless steel one. I just found them on line, but I don't really want to wait for shipping, after all I am an American and I want INSTANT gratification!!!! :hihi:

Seriously though I do appreciate it! :thumbsup:

Hardware or plumber shops should have the reducers.
Man, I never even thought about that. I will check one of the plumber shops around town and see what's up.

Thanks Guys!!!

I have a supply of reducers on hand here, never know when you will need one.

I just teed inline with my wasteghate line for mine. There is only about a 1 1/2 lb drop fro mthe trubo compressor to the intake, so it isn't a big deal. The best place is to remove your intake heater and install a CUMMINS drain plug that is tapped and read it there, but you would either have to use EFILIVE to shut the CEL off or install a lightbulb in the circuit so the ECm would still see a load on it to keep from coding.

I have read about T-ing the waste gate hose, but the cons of it is it's too hard to miunt it firmly...

Apparently the stubby goose neck is a very hard to get to, but the spot of choice for mounting.

Another issue with GM, it's freakin' diesel!!!! There ought to be a place already drilled and tapped with a plug in it for ease of installation!!

Well, no plumbing shops had the reducer in SS, but my local Grainger had exactly 1 stainless steel bushing, so I bought it for the paultry sum of $5.64...:eek: EGT down, boost to go.

Anyways, the goose neck is a bear to get to so I'll probably just "T" off the wastegate hose for boost.

Back