• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

push button 4wd light blinking( service 4wd)

Kawika75

Reaction score
Thank you for the welcome. this morning it was icy and I went to take off and my 4x4 light was blinking at me saying service me. I checked the actuator on the front diff, it works. so I moved on to the transfer case. I was thinking ground issue with the T case actuator, can't locate the ground. I ordered a manual for this truck, still waiting. im wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction. I've heard that the sensor in these actuators tend to go out and I should replace the sensor. need help figuring out how to test this actuator. Aloha.

well I've been looking, haven't been able to find a kit for eliminating the electric transfer case motor most guys have fabricated something out of random parts. this I can do but not right now. so im going back to testing plugs and switches to find out where im losing power and get this thing back on the road. if anyone knows of a quick bolt on solution to get away from the electric motor I would be most appreciative. Aloha and have a great week fellas.

update I misdiagnosed the problem. its the front actuator you guys!!!! im so sorry I missed it. im ordering a Posi-lok actuator replacement kit. no more electric actuators. this the second brand new actuator and this last one was under warranty. I called the shop that sold me the actuator and there 5 weeks out before they can get my truck in there. im done dealing with the front actuator. the transfer case motor does shift and that was the actuator I was hearing I got a helper today so I could be under the truck to test while they worked the switches for me. Im getting power to both plugs, ie the front actuator plug and the transfer case actuator. I took off the front actuator and tested it out of the front diff housing and its dead!!! weird thing is the transfer case actuator only shifts while the transmission is in neutral?? its supposed to be able to shift on the fly so there still is a problem im not seeing but I believe with the Posi-lok actuator in place I will be able to get this pos into 4wd lol. thanks for all the advice and if anyone has any suggestions I would gladly appreciate it. On a positive note I did get to change the front Dif fluid and I change the transfer case fluid. the transfer case fluid did look good and no leaks so far.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the posi lok cable for the np243 myself, I actually prefer the late model 5 pin plastic actuators. If you still have the 2 pin thermal actuator, they are VERY failure prone. And the np243 doesn't use an encoder motor, it has an electric shift motor on the transfer case and it uses the 3 wire switch on the shift rail to tell it shifter position. They're a very simple system.

I'm not a fan of the posi lok cable for the np243 myself, I actually prefer the late model 5 pin plastic actuators. If you still have the 2 pin thermal actuator, they are VERY failure prone. And the np243 doesn't use an encoder motor, it has an electric shift motor on the transfer case and it uses the 3 wire switch on the shift rail to tell it shifter position. They're a very simple system.
not sure why this style actuator keeps failing? when I asked the shop what happened to the first updated actuator they sold me for $500 installed, the tech told me he really didn't know why it failed? so since I brought it back to them in less than a year it was still under warranty so they installed a second one. that updated actuator has failed again!! not sure if I want to try another one.

not sure why this style actuator keeps failing? when I asked the shop what happened to the first updated actuator they sold me for $500 installed, the tech told me he really didn't know why it failed? so since I brought it back to them in less than a year it was still under warranty so they installed a second one. that updated actuator has failed again!! not sure if I want to try another one.
I can count on 1 hand how many of them I've seen fail. Sounds like they didn't hook it up correctly when they did the conversion or you have a bad ground.

Okay, when You test for voltage at the FDA, did You use the ground within the plug for testing purposes ?
Sometimes there can be a bad ground through the olug, or maybe a broke grounding wire.
But too, I am not sure that the actuator does ground through the plug. You will have to check that out to find out if it does.

Back