• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Push button 4 wheel drive controls

turbopower6

Reaction score
Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if the dash mounted 4 wheel drive buttons on a 1996 Suburban k2500 6.5 diesel should be blinking when the vehicle is in 4 wheel drive lo range or 4 wheel drive hi range?

Mine do and the vehicle is in 4 wheel drive? I know for sure it is in the lo range which is obvious. Pretty sure the high range is working as well.

I have noticed there is an occasional noise like a rubbing / grinding when I shift out of the 4 wheel drive hi range to 2 wheel drive. Any ideas on this one?
Thanks

Blinking means the shift didn't or is not complete. Maybe the shift solenoid?

Sent from my SCH-I535

The 4X4 switch failed often on the early trucks. GM even had TSB's about it. It shouldn't be blinking, that either means it didn't complete the shift or there is a problem.

Since you don't have the shifter and console of the floor with the lights to indicate front axle is engaged I would say like Ferm says its indicating the front IFS is not engaged since wiring switch is not there.

You should be able to tell if its going into 4lo by the feel of power. I don't know if the PCM locks out 4lo low unless the front axle engages???? I doubt you will damage the transfer case in 4hi.

You could jumper the front axle switch plug to indicate it is engaged to see what happens. It just completes the circuit as far as I know.

Back