• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Purolater vs. Napa Gold oil filter for a 6.5 Diesel Engine

DieselSlug

Reaction score
I usually use Napa Gold oil filters on my rig every oil change. Last change i used the best Purolator i could get. Somewhere i heard that Purolator was a good brand? When i pulled the Napa Gold off and set it next to the Purolator there was about 1-2'' difference in filter length! That's a lot less filtering media. What do you guys think?

Should have been a filter 'size for size' available.. Most filter mfrs have a few different lengths per engine app.

I run Wix for better or worse, Napa gold is Wix. Can't go wrong with these, IMO.

Which one was the taller filter?

Should have been a filter 'size for size' available.. Most filter mfrs have a few different lengths per engine app.

I run Wix for better or worse, Napa gold is Wix. Can't go wrong with these, IMO.

Which one was the taller filter?

Napa Gold was the taller filter. There was a great sale at advanced auto. Valvoline Blue oil for 13 bucks a gallon, so I got the filter there to save me a trip.

I saw on the computer that the Purolator i got was the recommended filter for a 4wd 6.5 Diesel truck.

I think you are correct for thinking there is more filtering capability in the taller filter.. One could argue that the shorter one has more 'pleats' but this IMO restricts flow progressively as the filter traps more crud. Too 'tight' in there in the first place..

There's a reason big truck filters are about a Foot long...

napa gold filters are always a bit bigger i have noticed. like gmc3500 said bigger filter more filtration. every vehicle i have ever owned only gets a napa gold or wix never trusted any other filters

napa gold filters are always a bit bigger i have noticed. like gmc3500 said bigger filter more filtration. every vehicle i have ever owned only gets a napa gold or wix never trusted any other filters

Napa gold is a WIX. I run CARQUEST filters which are also WIX filters. My only experience with PUROLATER was years back on my VW rail that I raced, and I had troubles with the filter media collapsing at 80 PSI or so. I've also had good luck with STP filters from AZ in the past, but stopped using them after they started making there filters shorter for all applications to cut costs.

I have used Purolator White for this truck, they are good enough.
It has a lot more pleats eventhough it is shorter.

The Purolator PureOne is about as good as Napa Gold.

Get the Bosch Distance Plus, that thing is giant and made with heavier metals.
That is what I am running now since I got them cheap once.

Get the Bosch Distance Plus, that thing is giant and made with heavier metals.
That is what I am running now since I got them cheap once.

I used one at one point and also noticed how much heavier it was, but that filter is a bit pricyer then others

Filter numbers?

My Wally's has no accurate guide to the filters.
What are the numbers for the wix and Napa gold long er filters?
Thanx.

I have run K&N, and many others.
The filters have not made any difference to me as I have had no failures or pressure problems.
I HAVE noticed differences in oil though. Tried many, now I stick with good ol" Chevron Delo 400 15W-40.
Every rig is different, and mine is happier with it.

God have mercy on this Obamanation.

Going to see if this link works...
I did not know NAPA had platinum! Maybe will try this next time, its a warehouse order part though.
napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemCompare.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
Going to see if this link works...
I did not know NAPA had platinum! Maybe will try this next time, its a warehouse order part though.
napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemCompare.aspx

Did you find a part number for that? I had no luck with the link

Last edited by a moderator:
NAPA 4WD 6.5
Oil Filter (Gold)
Part Number: FIL 1060

Oil Filter (Platinum)
Part Number: PFL 41060

That link had flow rates and microns of both the filters, worked when i tested it now it doesn't..

NAPA 4WD 6.5
Oil Filter (Gold)
Part Number: FIL 1060

Oil Filter (Platinum)
Part Number: PFL 41060

That link had flow rates and microns of both the filters, worked when i tested it now it doesn't..

On nice, thats in stock at my local Napa. Thanks for the number.

Wix/ NAPA gold for me. mostly US made, havent found a company that is solely US or canada made yet, so I will stick with WIX, as about all the filters I use from them are US.

read a filtration study a time or two, and wix allways did well.

My Wally's has no accurate guide to the filters.
What are the numbers for the wix and Napa gold long er filters?
Thanx.

I have run K&N, and many others.
The filters have not made any difference to me as I have had no failures or pressure problems.
I HAVE noticed differences in oil though. Tried many, now I stick with good ol" Chevron Delo 400 15W-40.
Every rig is different, and mine is happier with it.

God have mercy on this Obamanation.

Go to Napa website, put in the one for D-max.

Back