• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

pullin injector cups

BigBearZach

Reaction score
pullin injector cups in buddys truck how do we drain the block of coolant so we can change them it is an 01 6.6

I'm confused.

01 6.6 is a dmax right? Injectors are common rail/electronic and point straight into the head. No need to pull heads.. No pre cups.

'Pre-cups' on a 6.2&5 you'll be yanking heads. Injectors, no need to pull heads.

Block drain plugs are conveniently located under the engine bracket so that's a no go.. Usually you can hoist the trucks rear pretty high and the block will drain most the way out.. Either out petcock or lower rad hose.

it dose have cups on the 6.6 lb7 yes they are electric but the cup on it are what hold the injectors in the head

Yep I'm confusing 'cups'.. I do know you can pull injectors without draining the coolant. Cups? Never messed with 'em.

What's the deal with 'em?

the previous owner did injector job and didnt install cups right... i have read that the block needs to be drained before you pull them so coolant does not flow into cynlinder. i have been searching for block drains but unsuccessful thus far.

Drain the cooling system out and the block will drain MORe than enough. I normally pull the bottom hose off at the water pump, but you will get a waterfall of coolant come out. The injector cups are pretty high up in the heads, so if you get 3 gallons out your safe. Do you have a tool to pull the cups out? If not I seen where somebody made one using a concrete anchor and a piece of plate. Make certain to get all the old loctite off of them, and if there is any pitting on the cups replace them. I use LOCTITE green sleeve retainer to reseal them instead of the 272 red like GM specs. The green sleeve retainer came out after GM wrote the spec for the loctite, and I believe is the only reason why they don't reccomend it.

i have new cups to put in and the tool.. i appreciate you letting me know how to drain the coolant thank you

Back