• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Prototype Turbo Controller

Reaction score
Ive been trying a few different set ups, what im looking for is better control of the WG by the spring, The arm is short on the HX series turbos so leverage is at a premium with the spring control, I built a new arm for my turbo with a Heim, Heres the Arm I have about 2 hours in it, the hard part is attaching it to the existing arm but I have a pretty good set up
001-13.jpg

Hers the Backside you can see how I made it to overlap the existing arm
002-12.jpg

All Together here I used a an washer with a spring washer under the clip to hold it tight
004-9.jpg

This is a little work I did on the divider not sure how much good it does but im sure it helps
006-5.jpg

Why?
Specifically how does this compare to the air can these turbo's normally use? (Boost referenced waste gate can.) The vac system is already gone for both so I am just curious if this is better, cheaper, or what?

Further to Warwagons post, would it be possible to operate via the ECM module if one still has it is using a tune that operates via vacuum?

Cheers
Nobby

Why?
Specifically how does this compare to the air can these turbo's normally use? (Boost referenced waste gate can.) The vac system is already gone for both so I am just curious if this is better, cheaper, or what?
The can that comes on them doesnt open till 20 PSI, thats more than I want to run
Further to Warwagons post, would it be possible to operate via the ECM module if one still has it is using a tune that operates via vacuum?
I don't see why you couldn't just have to make a bracket to mount the can on
Cheers
Nobby

Personally, I dont think it will make a difference, since the HX40WII already comes with the wastegate lever straight down. The stock actuator had a terrible angle compared to the just having a spring along the bottom. And the wastegate on it only moves about half an inch. So I dont think getting more leverage is going to add anything other than maybe using less spring pressure to hold it closed. What additional control would you expect to add in this manner? I can understand the need on the HX35 housing since it doesnt point straight down.

Otherwise the original spring controller setup for the HX40WII was good, although havent gotten a mod for the larger threaded rod end yet. I suppose one solution to that is replacing the rod end, although its difficult to find them off the shelf that will fit on the stock wastegate lever, needs to be only 1/4" thick with 5/16" eye. So the modification to the lever allows a larger rod end to fit right.

Personally, I dont think it will make a difference, since the HX40WII already comes with the wastegate lever straight down. The stock actuator had a terrible angle compared to the just having a spring along the bottom. And the wastegate on it only moves about half an inch. So I dont think getting more leverage is going to add anything other than maybe using less spring pressure to hold it closed. What additional control would you expect to add in this manner? I can understand the need on the HX35 housing since it doesnt point straight down.

Otherwise the original spring controller setup for the HX40WII was good, although havent gotten a mod for the larger threaded rod end yet. I suppose one solution to that is replacing the rod end, although its difficult to find them off the shelf that will fit on the stock wastegate lever, needs to be only 1/4" thick with 5/16" eye. So the modification to the lever allows a larger rod end to fit right.

Buddy do you still have your HX40II on? The reason I angled it up is it makes it easier to adjust

IMGP1390.jpg
HX40II Controller I built today
001-14.jpg

I like what I see there. Question, is the added length of the wastegate arm really needed? Or does it give more adjustment and fine tuning control of the pressure that the wastegate releases at?

I have an HX35W that I just installed and have yet to get the wastegate situation sorted out. It currently has the stock can for the 01 Cummins still on it. I have seen at least 14 lbs of boost just with a heavy foot to 45-50 MPH on an empty truck. This raises concerns for me for when towing the trailer over the Santiam Pass, or any of the bigger hills we have around here.

I've attached a pic of my HX35, as it was before re-clocking and modding for the 6.5. The wastegate arm points down the same as the turbo in your last version. However I don't have the luxury of drilled and tapped holes in the side of the exhaust housing like yours does. I already fabbed a mount for the stock pressure can before I saw the kind of boost I got in an empty truck under "heavy foot" acceleration.

Needless to say, what you are doing here sure has caught my attention.

Don

View attachment 33685

I like what I see there. Question, is the added length of the wastegate arm really needed? Or does it give more adjustment and fine tuning control of the pressure that the wastegate releases at?

I have an HX35W that I just installed and have yet to get the wastegate situation sorted out. It currently has the stock can for the 01 Cummins still on it. I have seen at least 14 lbs of boost just with a heavy foot to 45-50 MPH on an empty truck. This raises concerns for me for when towing the trailer over the Santiam Pass, or any of the bigger hills we have around here.

I've attached a pic of my HX35, as it was before re-clocking and modding for the 6.5. The wastegate arm points down the same as the turbo in your last version. However I don't have the luxury of drilled and tapped holes in the side of the exhaust housing like yours does. I already fabbed a mount for the stock pressure can before I saw the kind of boost I got in an empty truck under "heavy foot" acceleration.

Needless to say, what you are doing here sure has caught my attention.

Don

Yes with the added length it is to give the spring more control, The one that is on my HX35 has a arm that is similar, without the mounting holes my set up wouldnt work

Interesting. Even the 20 PSI boost gauges are getting hard to find as the same part number is now 30 PSI. Found this out recently as I sent one back.

Buddy's turbo is on my 1995 burb. When I get the fuel system sorted out I'll have some results.

I have your original TM for the WII, but due to the different sized rods on yours and mine, it did not work. Buddy has graciously sent me a new part for it that I used and now it works great. I also have no trouble adjusting it. Pop hood, turn nut (11mm), close hood. done.

temporary-59.jpg

From the front:

temporary-57.jpg

Close up:

temporary-58.jpg

Back